"Leknes / Gravdal - On the Lofoten Islands" Gravdal by MikeAtSea
Gravdal Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 34 photos
In the land of the midnight sun, the colourful sky stretches out infinitely and frames the majestic mountain peaks, peaceful inlets and untamed seashore of the Lofoten Islands. Nestled here is the picturesque harbor town of Leknes.
Leknes is a town and administrative centre of municipality Vestvågøy, with 10,764 inhabitants it is the most populated municipality in Lofoten and Vesterålen in the county of Nordland in northern Norway. The town is situated in the geographical middle of Lofoten, approximately 68km west of Svolvær and 65km east of Å. The town of Leknes has 2,647 inhabitants.
Leknes is the trading and shopping centre of Lofoten, only rivalled by Svolvær. Leknes has an airport, Leknes Airport, for regional aircraft, with 7 daily scheduled flights to Bodø and some daily flights to Svolvær with the airline Widerøe. The town has a small bus terminal which serves as a hub with bus links to the rest of Lofoten. Leknes is a "twin town" with Gravdal, which houses the region's hospital, Lofoten Sykehus.
Leknes is one of the few towns in Lofoten which is not based upon fisheries and which does not have its town centre by the sea. Because of this, and because of its rapid growth in recent years, it does not have the same traditional wooden architecture as most other towns in Lofoten, and may thus not be regarded to be as picturesque as its neighbouring fishing villages. However, the natural surroundings are regarded to be among the most stunning in Norway, with mountains, peaks, cliffs and white sandy beaches. The town's harbour Leknes Havn is one of Norway's most important and visited harbours for cruise ships.
In Leknes, the sun (midnight sun) is above the horizon from May 26 to July 17, and in winter the sun does not rise from December 9 to January 4. The old school of the neighborhood Fygle has been made into a museum.
The area surrounding Leknes in magnificent! Lofoten is sought-after by tourists from all over the world. Not many places... more travel advice
Stockfish is dried out in the open air, therefore one can find stockfish racks all over the Lofoten Islands. The fish is... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Gravdal Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Gravdal
- 12 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Gravdal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gravdal
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos