"Hudiksval - Happy Hudik!" Hudiksvall by MikeAtSea
Hudiksvall Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 75 photos
This delightful seaside village nearly 200 miles northwest of Stockholm is a treasure trove of 18th and 19th century architecture. Colourfully painted doorways highlight the charming old red fishermen’s cottages in Fiskarstan and Möljen, while the view of the bay from the terraced Hantverksgården is lovely. Known as Glada Hudik, or “Lively Hudiksvall”, during its heyday in the mid 1800’s, Hudiksvall is still quite high spirited when summer visitors fill the cafés and restaurants.
The town was granted civic rights by King Johan III in 1582. Fishing and trade were major source of income, leading to a rapid expansion of Hudiksvall. But in 1636 the town lost the right to engage in foreign trade, its development being stifled for some 200 years.
The fact that fishing was an important industry for several hundred years can be seen today in the architecture and legacy of the town.
Most of the buildings of Hudiksvall are post 1721, the year in which the Russians ravaged the North East of Sweden. The whole town - with the exception of the church - was burnt down. Rebuilding took place on land below the church.
Sweden has a zero tolerance attitude towards breaking traffic rules. My driver was pulled over at 9 am in the morning... more travel advice
This house which means translated Peoples House or Workers House was the original library of the town of Hudiskvall. The... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Hudiksvall Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hudiksval - Happy Hudik!"
- "Hudiksvall - Sweden"
- ""Glada Hudik""
- "Glada Hudik."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hudiksvall
- Transportation in Hudiksvall
- Shopping in Hudiksvall
- Warnings and Dangers in Hudiksvall
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hudiksvall
- 12 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Hudiksvall?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hudiksvall
Photos in HudiksvallSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos