"Visby – Medieval City of Ruins and Roses" Visby by MikeAtSea
Visby Travel Guide: 174 reviews and 568 photos
Visby is the capital of Gotland, Sweden’s largest island. The island in many respects is a completely separate country. It offers an exciting and varied environment, a meeting place between sea and land, nature and culture, past and presence.
The city a pearl in the Baltic Sea gained World Heritage status in 1995. For thousands of years, businessmen, landowners, Vikings, kings and noblemen have visited Visby.
The city grew rich as a member of the Hanseatic League, and became one of the leading cities in the Baltic Region in the 12th and 13th centuries. The city’s medieval architecture was dominated by majestic stone buildings, of which almost 200 survive today either partially or fully intact. Merchants’ houses with elegant stepped gables and Gothic façade decorations still stand proudly in various parts of the city.
Visby is also noted for its many 17th and 18th century half timber and thatched houses.
My visit to Visby coincided with the annual Medieval Festival that is held every August. When visiting the city then you are transformed back into Medieval Times with the entire town dressed up medieval and celebrations and functions recounting the glory times of times long gone by.
Sweden has a zero tolerance attitude towards breaking traffic rules. My driver was pulled over at 9 am in the morning... more travel advice
Even though Sweden is part of the European Union the country chose not to be part of the Euro monetary union. Hence the... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Visby Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Medieval wonder"
- "Ruins 'n Roses - A sunny day in Visby"
- "Visby ~ "City of Roses and Ruins""
- "HANSEATIC TOWN OF VISBY"
- "The Medieval City of Roses"
- "Visby – Medieval City of Ruins and Roses"
- "Charlene's Gotland Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Visby
- Hotels in Visby
- Transportation in Visby
- Nightlife in Visby
- Restaurants in Visby
- Shopping in Visby
- Warnings and Dangers in Visby
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Visby
- 19 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Visby?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Visby
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos