"Naples - Vesuvius and Pizza" Naples by MikeAtSea
Naples Travel Guide: 1,255 reviews and 3,127 photos
Naples, located in the southern part of Italy in the region of Campania, is the third most populated city in Italy, with over one million inhabitants. Naples sits on the northern edge of one of the most beautiful bays in Italy - the Bay of Naples. The famous Mount Vesuvius and the romantic islands of Capri and Ischia lie in close proximity to the city.
With its sunny climate, numerous historic and artistic sights, friendly people, great cuisine, and a gorgeous natural setting, Naples has long been a favorite destination in Italy for visitors.
Naples is the third most populated city in Italy (after Rome and Milan) and is the most important industrial center and trading port for the South.
A point of embarkation for emigrants in the past, Naples now has a large traffic of merchandise (petroleum, carbon, and cereals) and passengers. It is the largest Italian port, with a noteworthy nexus of railway and highways and a large international airport. In the vast urban area one can distinguish many different neighborhoods: the old center, characterized by buildings closely crowded together, is bordered on the west by the new administrative district and on the east by the business district, into which flows almost all the road and rail traffic. Other neighborhoods, with narrow climbing streets, rise around the base of the San Martino and Capodimonte hills. These neighborhoods have experienced intense development, typically of the simpler kind, in contrast to that of the residential neighborhoods that stretch out comfortably along the Vomero and Posillipo hills.
The Silver Cloud called upon Naples on the 2nd of October for another time.
I escorted a tour of our ships guests to some of the sights of the city.
A panoramic drive around Naples to one of the outlaying hills provided a magnificent view over this 2 Million inhabitants metropolis.
The city itself has lost a bit of its charm. Being the most important port town in Italy and having been heavily bombed during World War 2, combine this with dirt all over the town and pocket thieves it is a bit like traveling in North Africa already.
However the town boast a number of attractions such as the town square, lined with a beautiful cathedral and various other grand buildings. The shopping street - the Via Roma offers the Galeria Umberto a magnificent shopping street.
The highlight of my day here was definitely a visit to a typical traditional Pizzeria; the only difference was that when visiting the Amore e Fantasia Pizzeria was that we made our own pizza. Who could say having been to Italy and bake your own pizza in the place where pizza was born!
Only warning - if you explore Naples leave ALL your valuables in the hotel safe or elsewhere; every time when we visit this town someone of our guests gets robbed!
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Naples Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "guide to the hidden Naples"
- "Benvenuti a Napoli!!"
- "A city in perpetual motion"
- "NAPLES – the treasure of Campania!!!"
- "Naples....Sun, Aromas and Tastes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Naples
- Hotels in Naples
- Transportation in Naples
- Nightlife in Naples
- Restaurants in Naples
- Shopping in Naples
- Warnings and Dangers in Naples
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Naples
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Naples?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Naples
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos