"Portofino - Jewel of the Italian Riviera" Top 5 Page for this destination Portofino by MikeAtSea
Portofino Travel Guide: 124 reviews and 450 photos
Situated in a narrow cove is one of Italy’s most picturesque and enchanting places. Tiny Portofino owes its fame and popularity to its spectacular setting, agreeable climate and lush, luxuriant vegetation. This acclaimed Pearl of the Mediterranean has long been a favorite with celebrities and artists who have come to appreciate the unsurpassed charm and intimacy of the cliff-lined port.
Overlooking the rocky coastline, quaint Portofino surprises with incredible views of the Gulf of Rapallo and the surrounding pine-covered hillsides. High above the village stand the church and fortress of San Giorgio, from where beautiful views extend over the resort and the harbour.
In 1935, the city government of nearby Genoa declared Portofino a national monument. Altering the architecture of any structure requires approval from a committee. Thus, Portofino’s look has changed very little over the past decades.
Bronzed and beautiful visitors enjoy the unique ambiance, chic boutiques and quaint cafés that overlook the small yacht harbor and line the narrow, cobbled streets. Others explore along the coastline, where tiny villages are tucked away in hidden coves.
Portofino is tugged away between Genova and the Cinque Terre at the Ligurian Coast. The highway A 12 runs along the... more travel advice
A lot of visitors arrive in Portofino by cruise ship. Since the port is too small to have larger ships dock here the... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Portofino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portofino - a scenic place in Liguria !!"
- "Portofino - Jewel of the Italian Riviera"
- "A gem tucks in Ligurian coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portofino
- Hotels in Portofino
- Transportation in Portofino
- Restaurants in Portofino
- Shopping in Portofino
- See All...
Explore the World
- New York City
- West Hollywood Hotels
- Malletts Bay Hotels
- Clearwater Beach Island Hotels
- Vilanova i la Geltru
- Chiang Mai
- Guatemala City Hotels
- Savannah Hotels
- Saint-Gilles-les Bains
- Chandlers Ford Hotels
Badges & Stats in Portofino
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Portofino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portofino
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos