"Segesta - Temples in the Hills of Sicily" Segesta by MikeAtSea
Segesta Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 62 photos
Segesta or Egeste stands in an enchanting location among red, brown and ochre coloured hills that contrast with various shades of green. The Archaeological Park is overlooked by the imposing Doric Temple.
The ancient city of Segesta was probably found by Elymians and at the time was the most important settlement in the Mediterranean Basin, as borne out by the superb remains of several monumental buildings.
Segesta was destroyed by the Syracuse tyrant Agathocles at the end of the 4th century BC. However at the start of the first Punic war the city was reborn, allying itself with Rome. The south-eastern zone was residential while the public buildings, such as the Greek Theatre were to the north.
Settled by Byzantine, Arab and lastly Latin communities, the city was progressively abandoned from the Suevian period onwards.
To access the antique town from the valley one can either walk the 1,5 km or alternatively use a bus shuttle from the... more travel advice
The ruins of a small church once dedicated to St. Leone in a multi stratified area between the Castle and the Theatre.... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Segesta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Segesta: Experience the Elymian People"
- "Segesta - Temples in the Hills of Sicily"
- "Segesta: A Must-See"
- "A highlight of Sicily's Greek history"
- "Segesta - It's in Sicily, not in Greece!"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Segesta
- 7 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Segesta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Segesta
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos