"Geiranger Fjord and the Roof of Norway" Top 5 Page for this destination Geiranger by MikeAtSea
Geiranger Travel Guide: 168 reviews and 488 photos
Geiranger is a small tourist town in the western part of Norway in the region called Sunnmøre in the municipality of Stranda. It lies innermost in the fjord Geirangerfjord which is a branch of Storfjord. Geiranger is home to some of the most spectacular scenery in the world, and has been named the best travel destination in Scandinavia by Lonely Planet.
Geiranger is under constant threat from the mountain Åkerneset which is about to erode into the fjord. This will cause a tsunami destroying most of Geiranger downtown.
Norway's third largest cruise-ship port receives about 160 ships during the four month tourist season.
Several hundred thousand people pass through every summer, and tourism is the main business for the 250 people who live there permanently.
Kings, Queens, Emperors and hundreds of thousands of tourists have made Geiranger one of the most visited places in Norway and the first cruise ship came here as early as 1869. There are five hotels and over ten camping sites.
The tourist season stretches from May til early September, and in the off season the pace and activity is reduced to that of a normal small Norwegian town.
Since 2005, the Geirangerfjord is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Each year in June, the sport arrangement Geiranger - From Fjord to Summit is arranged. It comprises of a half marathon run and a bicycle race, both starting from the sea level at the fjord and ending on top of Mount Dalsnibba, 1500 meters above sea level (approx. 4500 feet). As there is still a lot of snow left in the mountains at this time of year, the arrangement can also be called “From Summer to Winter”.
The Geiranger fjord is a branch of the Synnulvsfjord which in turn is a branch of the mighty Storfjord. The Geiranger fjord thrusts its way 10 miles
inland and the views are spectacular; towering mountains, farms clinging to the steep mountain side and the fjord itself. Waterfalls with names such as the Suitor, the Bridal Veil and the Seven Sisters plunge down
the mountain sides.
The Eagles' Road links the Geirangerfjord with the Norddalsfjord. It climbs in 11 hairpin bends, with fine views of the... more travel advice
The Seven Sisters can only been seen from the Fjord as one sails towards Geiranger, i is a waterfall consisting of seven... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Geiranger Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The amazing colour of the Geiranger fjord"
- "Geiranger Fjord and the Roof of Norway"
- "Geiranger the irresistible"
- "STEEP MOUNTAINS - MAJESTIC SCENERY"
- "Geiranger - Pearl of the fjords"
- "Trip to Geiranger"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Geiranger
- Hotels in Geiranger
- Transportation in Geiranger
- Shopping in Geiranger
- Warnings and Dangers in Geiranger
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Geiranger
- 24 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Geiranger?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Geiranger
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos