"Livingstone – The Smoke that Thunders" Top 5 Page for this destination Livingstone by MikeAtSea
Livingstone Travel Guide: 178 reviews and 537 photos
The first European settlement in the Victoria Falls area was the Old Drift, an almost wild west establishment on the banks of the mighty Zambezi River. It was established shortly after Sir Dr. David Livingstone’s reports about the falls which attracted traders to the region.
Due to malaria death the settlement moved to the site of the present day Livingstone.
In 1902 to the amazing plan of a railway between Cape Town and Cairo meant that the first bridge was built across the Zambezi River; and with this the influx of tourists started growing.
Livingstone became the tourist hub of Zambia, however during the economic and political chaos that emerged in this great country in the 1970’s and 1980’s the town was eclipsed by the town of Victoria Falls on the Zimbabwean side.
In recent years the country started booming again, also supported by the demise of the neighbouring country and its political regime under Robert Mugabe. Now Zambia is booming, its stability is regained and Livingstone a magnificent tourism destination.
In my opinion the area of Livingstone has also learnt from the mistakes that have been made in the tourism development of other areas in the world, building enchanting resorts and lodges that fit right in to the fragile landscape of Mosi oa Tunya – the smoke that thunders.
And all this is made even more enchanting as it is supported by the warmth of the Zambian people and its easiness to enter and leave the country – since in my believe everyone in Zambia has realized about the importance of tourism, including the officials.
Hence Livingstone is the pristine destination to visit the Victoria Falls, inexpensive in comparison to its Zimbabwean neighbour, with charm and great hospitality – and just for the record, the majority of the Victoria Falls are in Zambia in any case.
This hotel is the closest to the Victoria Falls and on the same property as the Royal Livingstone. A comfortable, modern... more travel advice
Open to the public from 8h30 to 16h30 for a nominal fee, the museum holds some of the finest examples of Zambia's... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Livingstone Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Livingstone – The Smoke that Thunders"
- "NOT NICE, BUT THE ECONOMY WORKS"
- "A pleasant, small, welcoming town"
- "Laid-back Livingstone"
- "Livingstone town"
- "Primary Attraction is the Falls"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Livingstone
- Hotels in Livingstone
- Transportation in Livingstone
- Nightlife in Livingstone
- Restaurants in Livingstone
- Shopping in Livingstone
- Warnings and Dangers in Livingstone
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Livingstone
- 29 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Livingstone?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Livingstone
Photos in LivingstoneSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos