"Trapani - Hidden Treasure in the West of Sicily" Trapani by MikeAtSea
Trapani Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 137 photos
Trapani is situated on the West Coast of Sicily. The pretty town centre is located on an attractive curving spit of land. What used to be a large Arab fishing village still offers the charm and the Moorish atmosphere. It is home to about 72.000 inhabitants and much more laid-back then other centres on the island.
Trapani was founded by the Elymians to serve as the port of the nearby city of Erice which overlooks it from Monte San Giuliano. It was originally named Drepanon from the Greek word for “sickle”, because of the curving shape of its harbour.
Two ancient legends tell of mythical origins for the city. In the first legend, Trapani stemmed from the sickle which fell from the hands of the goddess Demeter while she was seeking for her daughter Persephone, who had been kidnapped by Hades. The second myth features Saturn, god of the sky, who eviscerated his father Cronus with a sickle which, falling into the sea, created the city. In ancient times Saturn was the god-protector of Trapani. Today Saturn's statue stands in a piazza in the centre of the city.
The city was badly damaged during World War II when it was subjected to intense Allied bombardments. It has grown greatly since the end of the war, sprawling out virtually to the foot of Monte San Giuliano. Tourism has grown in recent years due to the city's proximity to popular destinations such as Erice, Segesta and the Egadi Islands.
Erice sits on the legendary Mount Eryx at an altitude of 750 meters. The appearance of this village is puritanical since... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Trapani Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "+++ unknown gorgeous spots of Italy...+++"
- "Trapani - Western Sicily"
- "Trapani - Hidden Treasure in the West of Sicily"
- "Enjoy Trapani"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trapani
- Hotels in Trapani
- Transportation in Trapani
- Restaurants in Trapani
- Warnings and Dangers in Trapani
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trapani
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Trapani?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trapani
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos