"Kairouan - Tunisias Holy City" Kairouan by MikeAtSea
Kairouan Travel Guide: 132 reviews and 457 photos
The old town of Kairouan has fascinated many artists. It derives from the tight network of little streets, passageways, archways and fluted cupolas with a mellow whiteness, all blending in beneath the protection of the Great Mosque with its majestic minaret.
The souqs are dedicated to commerce, divided up according to trades and are a constant buzz of activity. Close by in the silent little alleyways between long which walls interspersed with pale blue doors female silhouettes hurry past wrapped in immaculate veils, sometimes passing groups of happy shouting children. All around these historic neighbourhoods the light brick crenulated ramparts punctuated by towers and bastions, succeed in giving the old town the venerable appearance of standing outside of time.
Kairouan is a fascinating and welcoming secret of Tunisia and with that one of the jewels of Tunisian heritage. The former capita of the Aghlabid emirs nestles far from the shoreline in an austere region of steppes. The city is rich in historical memories and remarkable monuments.
The city is also the forth holiest Muslim sight in the Islamic world, after Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem. A few years ago non-Muslims needed a special permit to visit Kairouan.
The local currency is the Dinar. American Express, Visa and travellers cheques are widely accepted, and the US dollar is... more travel advice
All ancient sites, mosques, museums and antiquities charge a photographic fee. The ticket for this has to be purchased... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Kairouan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tunisia's Religious Centre"
- "Kairouan, the Holy City"
- "A city of mosques but also much more..."
- "KAIROUAN-Sacred city"
- "Kairouan: the 4th Holiest Muslim City"
- "My favourite city, full of culture!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kairouan
- Hotels in Kairouan
- Transportation in Kairouan
- Nightlife in Kairouan
- Restaurants in Kairouan
- Shopping in Kairouan
- Warnings and Dangers in Kairouan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kairouan
- 7 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Kairouan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kairouan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos
Latest Kairouan hotel reviews
- Hotel La Kasbah
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 17, 2013