"Hot Days - Cool waves" Top 5 Page for this destination Durban by MikeAtSea
Durban Travel Guide: 428 reviews and 857 photos
Durban is the second largest and most cosmopolitan city of South Africa. A large Zulu population and the influx of Indians mixed with the white and colored population make Durban the most colorful city in the country. Its colonial history only goes back to 1824 yet it has an importance today for industry, commerce and tourism.
The city is the playground of South Africa with many locals flocking to the beaches during the summer vacation of December and January and offers great beaches in Durban as well as along the unspoiled coast line. The Indian Ocean ensures that you will find great weather and warm climate throughout the year.
I would also say it is the garden city of the country. The subtropical climate offers green lush parks with many exotic and indigenous flowers year around.
Must sees in Durban include the Indian Market, the largest mosque in the southern hemisphere right next door, the Botanical Garden, the Port of Durban, which is the largest on the continent, the new uShaka Waterfront and the historical town center.
Just north of Durban is the town of Umhlanga Rocks, here you find the Natal Sharks Board a unique institution that serves the world with research of sharks.
With the colorful mixture of people the cuisine of this city is also very varied and Durban is known for its good curries and great seafood.
Durban also serves as a gateway to Zululand and the oldest game reserves in Africa, to the mountain Kingdom of Lesotho, the Battlefields, the various traditional Zulu villages and the Hibiscus Coast to the South.
One of the newest additions to Durban is the sky car that operates from the Northern side of the newly built Moses... more travel advice
The Royal Hotel has been for a number of years been the number one hotel in Durban, and other five star hotels only... more travel advice
- See All Durban's only revolving restaurant
- See All Point Blank Clubbing
- South African Adapter
- See All Diving - Ocean Tank at uShaka Sea World
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Durban Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hot Days - Cool waves"
- "Welcome to Durban"
- "Growing to appreciate Durbs-By-The-Sea"
- "DURBAN --- KwaZulu-Natal"
- "The Zulu Kingdom"
- "Durban a beautiful city in Prov.ZwaZululand -Natal"
- "Sunny City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Durban
- Hotels in Durban
- Transportation in Durban
- Nightlife in Durban
- Restaurants in Durban
- Shopping in Durban
- Warnings and Dangers in Durban
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Durban
- 67 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Durban?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Durban
Photos in DurbanSee All Photos (77)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos