"The oldest game reserve in Africa" Hluhluwe by MikeAtSea
Hluhluwe Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 81 photos
The region around Hluhluwe is home to the oldest game reserve in Africa – Hluhluwe / Umfolozi. The game reserve covers an area of around 96.000 hectares and is a paradise for game safaris. With strict conversation control over more then 100 years the game reserve boasts of a large population of Rhino’s. In fact Hluhluwe is the leader in Rhino conservation in Africa and many Rhinos on the African continent find their origin here. The game reserve varies in landscape the North Hluhluwe being hillier with valleys and the South Umfolozi being a little more flat in areas.
The game reserve offers a magnificent lodge, Hilltop Camp in the North that I would recommend as overnight and base camp for explorations of the abundance of wild life in the area.
Game in this region includes: Rhino, Elephant, Leopard, Lion, Buffalo, a number of species of Antelope, around 300 species of Birds, Cheetah, Hyena, Hippo, Crocodile and many more.
Something that is offered by the game reserve are walking safaris in Umfolozi (those however have to be pre-booked and are very popular) as well as night safaris from the various camps in the reserve.
Hluhluwe is also the gateway point to other reserves in the area. St. Lucia Wetland Reserve, the home of plenty of hippos and crocodiles as well as turtles who come ashore here to lay their eggs; is along the coast a little further to the South, Mkuze Game Reserve is towards the North East with Phinda the most luxurious game reserve in the region being right next door.
Do not forget the cultural aspects of a visit in this area. The Zulus who live here are have not lost their cultural traditions and a Zulu traditional village can be found at in the Bushlands region just South of Hluhluwe.
The entire region is very easily to be accessed by traveling along the National Road 2 (N2) from Durban a mere 3 hours drive and from Johannesburg around 4 ½ hours.
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Hluhluwe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Zulu life"
- "Hluhluwe a busy little town in Zululand-Natal"
- "Hluhluwe/ Umfolozi"
- "The oldest game reserve in Africa"
- "Hluhluwe and Around"
- "Hluhluwe Game Preserve in Zululand"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hluhluwe
- Hotels in Hluhluwe
- Transportation in Hluhluwe
- Restaurants in Hluhluwe
- Shopping in Hluhluwe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hluhluwe
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Hluhluwe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hluhluwe
Photos in HluhluweSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos