Hluhluwe Game Reserve Things to Do Tips by MikeAtSea
Hluhluwe Game Reserve Things to Do: 37 reviews and 67 photos
One can visit the game park on its own, either as a day visit or to stay inside the reserve. There are entrance gates close to Hluhluwe, to Mutbatuba.
The recommended route from the north or south is to turn off the N2 at Hluhluwe village and follow the tarred road to Memorial Gate.
An alternative route is to turn off the N2 at Mtubatuba on to the R618 and proceed towards Hlabisa and travel for 27 kms to Nyalazi Gate.
Gate Opening and Closing Times:
Summer(November to February ) 05h00 to 19h00
Winter ( March to October ) 06h00 to 18h00
Velvet Monkeys are also found in groups in many parts of the park. Remember if you are in the camp or anywhere else in the park outside your vehicle do not feed them – they become a pest and need to be shot thereafter!
Baboons are always in large groups and with a complete family hierarchy. Watch how the group will mingle around but one or sometimes more animals are on a lookout to watch for danger!
The Blacksmith Plover is a tiny black and white bird – and even though it is so tiny it makes a massive noise, just like if you would be in a blacksmith’s workshop! If you discover the bird you will realize why and how it got its name…!
The Goliath Heron is the largest of the herons in Southern Africa and found standing in water or close to the waters edge fishing. A beautiful bird also in flight!
Leopard or other cat sightings are rare in Hluhluwe – and during my 200 or so visits to the game reserve I probably only have seen leopard three times there. Yet there are plenty of them around – but well hidden in the dense vegetation of the park!
Buffalo’s either are in big groups of sometimes up to a hundred animals or the occasional stray single bull that has been chased out of the herd. Sightings of buffalo are quiet often in Hluhluwe.
This cute animal is day active and can be found almost everywhere in the park. If it runs off have a look at its tail, since it raises like an arial to indicated to the off spring where the parents are chasing to.
Found in water during the day time and very seldom outside, since their skin is very sensitive against sun. However during the night time they roam around grazing. If you are around on foot where hippos are found be careful since they are responsible for most of the casualties of any game in Africa.
This it the most common antelope in Hluhluwe and one will see hundreds of them. Due to the fact that most of them are used to vehicles they appear tame since the smell of cars do not pose a threat to them, on foot they will re-act differently though.
More Reviews (6)
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Hluhluwe Game Reserve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HLUHLUWE UMFOLOZI GAME RESERVE"
- "Ancient hunting ground of the Zulu Kings"
- "Game viewing, starlit nights and happiness."
- "Hluhluwe Game Reserve, South Africa 2003"
- "Our 3 night stay in Tree House Bonamanzi G.Park"
- "HLUHLUWE/ UMFOLOZI PARK"
- "The oldest Game Reserve in Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Hotels in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Transportation in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Nightlife in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Restaurants in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Shopping in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Warnings and Dangers in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- See All...
Explore the World
- Melbourne Hotels
- Virginia Beach Hotels
- Tagaytay City Hotels
- Key West
- Hallstatt Hotels
Badges & Stats in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- 18 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Hluhluwe Game Reserve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
Photos in Hluhluwe Game ReserveSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos