"Oudtshoorn - the ostrich capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Oudtshoorn by MikeAtSea
Oudtshoorn Travel Guide: 109 reviews and 241 photos
Oudtshoorn is the tourist capital of the Little Karoo, a region bordered in the south by the Outeniqua and Langeberg Mountains and in the north by the Swartberg Range.
The boom of the golden days when everyone around the world bought Ostrich Feathers can still be found today. Old charming houses built with the boom money of the 1920’s when the chic of France, Britain and Germany wore what was produced here in the heart of the Southern Cape – Ostrich feathers.
However the boom collapsed when other fashion articles took over Europe but even today this is undoubtedly the capital of the Ostrich production world wide with numerous ostrich farms still running today and others that operate as show farms allowing you as the visitor to see and learn all about the ostrich.
The town offers a lot of charm and can be used as the base to explore the entire Little Karoo and the mountain ranges surrounding it.
Some of the highlights in the region are the impressive Cango Caves north of the city, en-route is one of my favourite places in South Africa – the Cango Wildlife Range who are leaders in the preservation of Cheetahs in Southern Africa.
If you travel along the Garden Route, and most visitors will do so along the N2 national road that runs parallel to the Indian Ocean, you should really take the time and cross over from Mossel Bay and visit this region before heading back over the stunning mountain passes to the Garden Route towards George (If you come from Cape Town – from Port Elizabeth vice versa). It is not only an interesting alternative but also a beautiful and very different part of South Africa, to explore this arid country side right next to some of the wettest regions of the country – the Garden Route.
Hospitality is also renown here. You will find plenty of Bed and Breakfasts, Guesthouses and Hotels in the region to ensure you sample some of South Africa’s own hospitality.
The second airline to operate flights to George is Nationwide from Johannesburg. Routes and schedules can be found on... more travel advice
One of the very scenic routes that passes along Oudtshoorn is the route 62 that travels from Cape Town via Worcester -... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Oudtshoorn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oudtshoorn - the ostrich capital"
- "Oudtshoorn - The Ostrich Capital"
- "Oudtshoorn - The Ostrich Capital of the World"
- "Oudtshoorn is more then ostriches."
- "The Cango Caves"
- "Ostriches, camels and caves!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oudtshoorn
- Hotels in Oudtshoorn
- Transportation in Oudtshoorn
- Nightlife in Oudtshoorn
- Restaurants in Oudtshoorn
- Shopping in Oudtshoorn
- Warnings and Dangers in Oudtshoorn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oudtshoorn
- 12 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Oudtshoorn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oudtshoorn
Photos in OudtshoornSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos