"The Aliwal Shoal" Scottburgh by MikeAtSea
Scottburgh Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 34 photos
The small beach town of Scottburgh is the gateway point to one of the finest diving areas of Southern Africa - the Aliwal Shoal.
The Shoal is situated some 5 kilometers off the coast of a between Umkomaas and Scottburgh.
The Shoal runs in a north to south direction and is a little less than 5 kilometers long. It is home to a large variety of fish, coral, and mammalian life forms. The reefs location is on the inner edge of the warm Mozambique current which allows for often excellent visibility as well as pelagic visitors who thrill divers by making an appearance every so often.
The annual migration of the pilchard Sardinops sagax into the Kwa-Zulu/Natal coastal waters from late May to early July offers the most amazing natural history spectacle you are ever likely to witness.
Associated with this migration of the sardines are large numbers of Bronze Whaler sharks, Dusky sharks, Common dolphin, Bottlenose dolphin, and gannets. Also to be seen are Humpback. Many other seabirds follow the run, among them: Wilson’s storm petrel, Sooty petrel, White chinned petrel, Black browed albatross, Yellow beaked albatross and Sub-Antarctic skua. This indeed the single biggest faunal phenomenon on our coast and brings the ocean to life from May to July. It is an unforgettable experience.
Ever year during the winter month of July millions of sardines swim along the East Coast of South Africa following the... more travel advice
Scottburgh can be reached by travelling on the National Road 2 (N2) from Durban in a southern direction. more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Scottburgh Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Scottburgh
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Scottburgh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scottburgh
Photos in ScottburghSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos