"Gateway to Bazaruto" Top 5 Page for this destination L. Vilanculos by MikeAtSea
L. Vilanculos Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 56 photos
Vilanculos is serves as the gateway to some of Mozambique's most famous national parks and tourist facilities on the islands are geared towards luxury tourism. There are four main islands - Bazaruto, Benguerra, Magaruque and Santa Carolina.
The largest island in the group is Bazaruto Island, filled with fresh water lakes inhabited by crocodiles, exotic butterflies and many species of birds. The island itself is home to some 125 different species of birds. Benguerra, south of Bazaruto, is smaller but with similar geography and wildlife.
The islands are covered by large sand dunes and freshwater lakes, which are nesting grounds for black-winged Flamingos. They are also home to small herds of red Duiker antelope as well as freshwater Crocodiles and samango Monkeys.
The closest island to Vilanculos is Magaruque and is small enough to make a day trip worthwhile as you can walk around the island in a couple of hours. Santa Carolina is the smallest island and is surrounded by the deepest waters of the islands making it ideal for game fishing.
For wildlife lovers one of the chief attractions must be the prospect of seeing dugong, now threatened with extinction in many other parts of the world. These mammals are seen regularly in the waters around the islands, as are Dolphins, Turtles and humpback Whales.
For those with an interest in the history of the islands, there are the ruins of a 19th century fort on Magaruque and a lighthouse on Bazaruto, which is just over one hundred years old. With the exception of Santa Carolina, all the islands have accommodation.
Vilanculos is a sleepy little town that only recently returned on the vacation map of many visitors. Development North... more travel advice
The largest island in the group is Bazaruto island, filled with fresh water lakes inhabited by crocodiles and many... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
L. Vilanculos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Have some dirty fun!"
- "Gateway to Bazaruto"
- "Mozambique to Get Away From It All"
- "Vilanculos - the closest city to our campsite"
- "South African playground"
- See All...
- Things to Do in L. Vilanculos
- Hotels in L. Vilanculos
- Transportation in L. Vilanculos
- Restaurants in L. Vilanculos
- Warnings and Dangers in L. Vilanculos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in L. Vilanculos
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to L. Vilanculos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in L. Vilanculos
Photos in L. VilanculosSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos