Maputo Things to Do Tips by MikeAtSea Top 5 Page for this destination
Maputo Things to Do: 123 reviews and 288 photos
The Iron House
The Iron House or Casa de Ferro were designed in the 19th century in Europe as the modest residence for the governor. Build from metal plates they proved very unsuitable for tropical weather, turning the house almost into an oven.
Directions: The Iron House is located close to one of the main squares in Maputo on Praça da Independencia.
The Gate to the Botanical Gardens
The Botanical Gardens are a green haven right in the middle of the town centre close to both the cathedral and city hall. A lot of the locals come here to take pictures after weddings or simply to relax in this lush subtropical green.
Directions: The Botanical Gardens are located at one of the main squares in Maputo on Praça da Independencia.
The City Hall of Maputo
The City Hall of Maputo was completed in 1945 and is an impressive building close to the cathedral of the city. Massive pillars and portico are part of the design that houses the city government today.
Directions: The City Hall is located at one of the main squares in Maputo on Praça da Independencia.
The Nature Historical Museum
This museum is housed in a beautifully restored colonial building. It is east of the city centre and home to a large shark collection and elephant foetuses showing their development.
Directions: The Museum is close to the Cardoso Hotel on Avenida Martires de Mueda
The Fort of Maputo
This is the oldest historical site of the Mozambican capital city. Old cannons are on display and one can patrol the ramparts of the fort. The gardens are kept in good shape and a lot of locals just relax here in the sun.
Directions: The Fort is close to the port of Maputo on Praça 25 do Junho
Very colourful is the central market of Maputo. Here one can purchase almost everything from cashed nuts to fish and bread. The market is a great place to make lots of photographs of local life, however one needs to be careful about thieves who operate here and try to snatch cameras, glasses and wallets from one.
Directions: The Municipal Market or Mercado Municipal is situated on Avenida 25 de Setembro very close to the Tivoli Hotel. I normally park my car at the Tivoli Hotel where a security guard will watch the car.
The Cathedral of Maputo
This building is relatively modern and was built in 1944. The cathedrals shape is pretty unusual since it was designed as a cross. However most of the times it is closed and one can only look at it from the outside.
Directions: The Cathedral is located at one of the main squares in Maputo on Praça da Independencia.
Maputo Rail Station
One of the must sees of Maputo is its train station build in the beginning of the 20th century and designed by the maker of the Eiffel Tower M. Eiffel. The building has been renovated in recent years and it almost looks like a palace with wood and marble decorations as well as a giant copper dome. Several old steam trains inside the building still remember the old times of train journeys in Southern Africa.
Directions: The rail station is located at the Praça dos Trabalhadores close to the port of Maputo.
More Reviews (22)
- See All Map of Southern Mozambique
- See All Kruger National Park
- Club Naval
- See All Photography
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Maputo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Maputo - formerly "Lourenço Marques""
- "Backpacking in MAPUTO"
- "NICE COUNTRY - BAD GOVERNMENT"
- "The tide of changes"
- "Maputo...and lobster feast!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maputo
- Hotels in Maputo
- Transportation in Maputo
- Nightlife in Maputo
- Restaurants in Maputo
- Shopping in Maputo
- Warnings and Dangers in Maputo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maputo
- 30 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Maputo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maputo
Photos in MaputoSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos
- Livro Aberto Library, Language, and Literacy Center- 1 Review, 5 Photos