"The tide of changes" Top 5 Page for this destination Maputo by MikeAtSea
Maputo Travel Guide: 333 reviews and 959 photos
I first traveled to Maputo shortly after the peace accord was signed ending the long civil war that tore the country apart.
What greeted me then was a turmoil stricken country without infrastructure and the rubbish piling up in the streets. The road that I traveled from Komatipoort the South African border post to the 70 km distant Maputo was non existent and took more then three hours to drive, a complete mess – no other words to it.
My next visit was about a year later and within a short time the city had changed its face. The rubbish and all the car wrecks in the streets disappeared and some buildings gained color.
I have been back a few times since and been impressed by the fast speed the city changed its face is impressive. Today Maputo has gained its charm back, with a mixture between Portuguese, African and Asian influences, beautiful architecture along the beach roads and in town, a truly colorful sight.
Regardless that South Africa is only 70 km away it is a different world, with the Portuguese Influence being evident everywhere.
I go to Maputo also to indulge into seafood. The famous LM Prawns are served by the kilograms and one of the best restaurants to eat those is in the Costa do Sol Hotel a ten minute drive outside of town.
To purchase art and handcrafts the town is also becoming popular – the creativity of the locals is quiet enchanting.
Also the government changed its visa procedures. Whereas in the past it was difficult to get a visa today one is able to purchase a visa at the airport or at any border post. The formalities are simple and the costs are around USD 15 – 20 depending on exchange rate. The last time I arrived at Mavelane Airport in Maputo it took about 10 minutes to have the visa issued! *Update* South African citizen no longer require visas to enter Mozambique! All others still do.
If there is one country that has vast potential within the tourism industry it is Mozambique!
On this map one can clearly see the proximity to the South African border at Komatipoort, as well as Swaziland - as... more travel advice
The Iron House or Casa de Ferro were designed in the 19th century in Europe as the modest residence for the governor.... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Maputo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Maputo - formerly "Lourenço Marques""
- "Backpacking in MAPUTO"
- "NICE COUNTRY - BAD GOVERNMENT"
- "The tide of changes"
- "Maputo...and lobster feast!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maputo
- Hotels in Maputo
- Transportation in Maputo
- Nightlife in Maputo
- Restaurants in Maputo
- Shopping in Maputo
- Warnings and Dangers in Maputo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maputo
- 30 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Maputo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maputo
Photos in MaputoSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos