"Antananarivo - Madagascars Capital" Antananarivo by MikeAtSea
Antananarivo Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 470 photos
The island's capital city (pop. 2,000,000) sits at 1,370 m in a twisting valley near the centre of the island. Tana, as the city is often called, has unusual French- and Asian-inspired architecture and winding cobblestone streets and staircases that create a medieval impression. The large open-air Zoma market has been disbanded, which means there is now plenty of room to walk around Araben ny Fahaleovantena (Avenue de l'Independence), the capital's main street. Other attractions include the colourful daily flower market on the edge of Lake Anosy and the botanical and zoological gardens, where you can see the egg and 10-ft-/3-m-tall skeleton of the extinct aepyornis, or elephant bird. Sadly, the Rova (Queen's Palace) burned to the ground in 1996. Though virtually nothing remains at the site, there are nice views of the city from the hill where the palace once stood.
The city has seen better days and many travellers probably will use Tana only as a stop over point to other attractions around Madagascar. Sadly the infrastructure such as street lightning and others do not function at present and with the ever increasing traffic one is better of on foot then by car.
Like most cultural aspects of the country, Hira Gasy is totally unique to Madagascar. It's a traditional form of... more travel advice
This monument commemorates the loss of the Malagasy people fighting in the two world wars. It is beautifully located... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Antananarivo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Antananarivo, my birthplace - Tana, my first home"
- "Tana was an unexpected delight!"
- "BET YOU CAN'T SAY IT 3 TIMES REALLY FAST !"
- "Three weeks in the highlands of Madagascar"
- "Antananarivo - 'Tana' to you."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antananarivo
- Hotels in Antananarivo
- Transportation in Antananarivo
- Nightlife in Antananarivo
- Restaurants in Antananarivo
- Shopping in Antananarivo
- Warnings and Dangers in Antananarivo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antananarivo
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Antananarivo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antananarivo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos