"Petra - Jordan's most famous city" Petra by MikeAtSea
Petra Travel Guide: 981 reviews and 2,516 photos
We reached Petra from the port city of Aqaba a two hour drive away. The route which is the main route of Jordan serving the only port of Jordan, Aqaba to the Jordanian capital Amman a journey of around 300 km.
More then 2000 years ago, the site was occupied by the Nabataens. From caves in a rocky outcrop they created their fortress city. The city was forgotten for centuries, and rediscovered in the 1800’s. Excavations did not get underway till a hundred years later and the central section was unearthed after 1958. Today the site is recognized as one of the most spectacular attractions in the Middle East and a must-see for any visitor to this area.
The site is reached via a narrow, half kilometer siq. The path, with walls that rise over 200 meters on both sides, served as defense as well as part of an incredible water system for the city of Petra.
Eventually the passage through the siq leads to the magnificent site of Al Khazneh. With its impressive, red colored facade, pictured in the final scenes of Indiana Jones the Last Crusade, the structure is one of Petra's grandest monuments and one of the most exquisite remains of antiquity.
Beyond the Treasury there are hundred of structures, most of them carved out of the rocky terrain. They include soaring temples, elaborate royal tombs and a theater with seating for 3000 spectators. The city of Petra encompasses a vast area; to explore it thoroughly would take several days.
Horse drawn carts can be hired to negotiate the narrow path way for visitors who are not able to walk down or up the pathway. The charge is USD 10 per person.
Another way to get to the Treasury or at least half way is on horse back. I did this once and it is great fun riding... more travel advice
We drove from Aqaba on the main highway number 15 that leads to the Jordanian capital Amman. Turn left simply following... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Petra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Petra : the city of the caravans"
- "Petra: a wonderful town"
- "A love story with Petra"
- "The Nabataean City"
- "Petra - a highlight of Jordan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Petra
- Hotels in Petra
- Transportation in Petra
- Nightlife in Petra
- Restaurants in Petra
- Shopping in Petra
- Warnings and Dangers in Petra
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Petra
- 17 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Petra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petra
Photos in PetraSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos
Latest Petra hotel reviews
- Taybet Zaman Hotel and Resort
- 236 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Petra Movenpick
- 1070 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 19, 2013
- Grand View Resort Petra
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 17, 2013
- Crowne Plaza Resort Petra
- 229 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Petra Palace
- 254 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Amra Palace Hotel
- 561 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- El Rashid Hotel
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 20, 2013
- Moevenpick Nabatean Castle Hotel
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2013
- Valentine Inn
- 95 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013