"Bleaker Island - Falklands Paradise" Bleaker Island by MikeAtSea
Bleaker Island Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 15 photos
Bleaker Island is a 30 minute flight south west of Stanley and is open year round. It is an isolated place that is home to only two inhabitants the Rendell family, which farm on the island with cattle and sheep. Their residence is in the middle of a teaming paradise for sealions, penguins and hundred of species of birds. The island is off the beaten track - yet if you should decide to visit this remote place you will not be disappointed, since all the natural highlights are only about 3 km away in either direction from the self catering cottage that is available for visitors.
This island offers the rare sightings of Rockhopper Penguins, as well as Magellanic and Gentoo Penguins who are also at home here. Whales and sealions patrol the coast around the island and thousands of birds seem to be the canopy towards the sky.
Seldom I have seen such a teeming natural place that enchants with its quietness and natural beauty then Bleaker Island.
If you want to discover the Falklands off the beaten track, enabling you to get the full flavour of the islands and to fully appreciate the unique environment and wildlife - head out and “camp” out - as the Falklanders describe for everything that is outside Stanley.
Rugged terrain, high winds, cold temperatures, the Falklands are on the edge of Antarctica, summers are short, wet and... more travel advice
Bleaker Island gradually rises from one side to the other, the entire interior being completely treeless with grass and... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Bleaker Island Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Bleaker Island
- 14 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Bleaker Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bleaker Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos