"Parati - Great Colonial Relic" Top 5 Page for this destination Parati by MikeAtSea
Parati Travel Guide: 271 reviews and 893 photos
Parati is both a great colonial relic, well preserved and architecturally unique and is alongside the magnificent tropical Brazilian coastline. The buildings have simple lines with earthy colours and textures. The entire town is a beautiful work of art.
The town, which is situated a few kilometers off the Rio de Janeiro - Santos highway is situated in the Southwest corner of the State of Rio de Janeiro.
It is easy to be visited. Cobblestoned streets that are washed clean by rains and high tides.
Dozens of secluded beaches are within a couple of hours of Parati by car or board. There are good swimming beaches in close proximity to the town, however the best beaches are towards Sao Paulo and the bays of the near-by islands.
The originally inhabitants of Parati were the Guaiana Indians, they used to live in a region today known as Mangaratiba, Angara and Paraty.
In 1636 because of the increase of the population in the region a paratiana called Maria Jacome de Melo donated part of her land between the rivers Paratiguacu and Patitiba in order to build a new town. As return she demanded that a chapel would be build. In 1640 the old town centre became to take shape and real urbanization stated from 1726. According to military engineering patterns wide streets and low plants were the main feature of the town.
The town has been a National Historical Site since 1966 and is an amazing colonial architectural sight.
Once a busy port for gold transport, the red-tiled roofs, wrought-iron balconies, arched windows and brightly coloured doorframes of Parati (pronounced Pa-ra-CHEE) have not changed much since the 1700’s. Automobile traffic is prohibited and high heels should be avoided on the cobblestone streets, which were purposely built at sea level to be flooded and cleansed by high tide.
Churches abound — Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Rosário e São Benedito was designed for African slaves, Capela de Santa Rita for freemen, and Capela de Nossa Señora das Dores a favourite of rich society women. The largest, Igreja Matriz Nossa Senora do Rosário, sank a tad (two steps down from street level). For typical Parati architecture, visit Sobrado dos Abacaxis or Sobrado do Príncipe. Enjoy a great town view from the old hilltop fort. Tour the Bay of Parati for a look at local beaches and even the tiniest of 65 islands.
Brazil offers a number of banks, unfortunately not all accept international cards. In a number of cases I was not able... more travel advice
One of the two colonial buildings north of the river is the hospital of Paraty. It is a nice colonial building from the... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Parati Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paraty - An Oasis of History and Charm"
- "CHARMING PARATI"
- "Parati - Great Colonial Relic"
- "Parati - not just a sleepy seaside town"
- "AH,MY BEAUTIFUL PARATY!"
- "Gold, sea, architecture and life"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parati
- Hotels in Parati
- Transportation in Parati
- Nightlife in Parati
- Restaurants in Parati
- Shopping in Parati
- Warnings and Dangers in Parati
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Parati
- 17 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Parati?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parati
Photos in ParatiSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos
Latest Parati hotel reviews
- Pousada Guarana Hotel
- 247 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 26, 2013
- Pousada Bambu Bamboo
- 175 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Pousada Do Sandi
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 3, 2013
- Othon Pousada Villa Del Sol Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 4, 2012
- Pousada Porto Imperial Parati
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 13, 2013