"Salvador - Africa in Brazil" Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia by MikeAtSea
Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide: 630 reviews and 1,335 photos
Everytime I visit Salvador it feels like if I am in Africa. The resemlance of the city to Maputo in Mozambique is so close. It is a bustling, vibrant and beautiful colonial town with many attractions and a different charm to the rest of Brazil. A great destination and a must be on every itinerary when visiting Brazil!
Salvador is Brazil’s colourful and historic centre of Afro-Brazilian culture located on the Todos os Santos Bay. Its division of the city into Upper and Lower City is typically Portuguese-colonial. While the Mercado Modelo caters to visitors in the Lower City, it’s the Upper City that offers a glimpse into Salvador’s early days. A dramatic vertical structure, the Lacerda Pedestrian Elevator, will take you some 70m (230ft) up to the bluff housing the Upper City. Here in the Pelourinho district, the city’s oldest, you can explore the site of the former slave market and pillory, baroque-style churches and colonial architecture.
Also from colonial times is the Lighthouse of Barra, one of about 15 forts dotting the city. Over 1000 terreiros — temples of the widely practiced Candomblé religion — add to Salvador’s flavour. A visit won’t be complete without seeing the amazing capoeira performed, a popular martial art of Afro-Brazilian origin.
One of the most elegant restaurants in Pelourinho, Casa da Gamboá serves up a Bahian "nouvelle cuisine." The classic... more travel advice
Judging from the crowd, the Soteropolitanos (as residents of Salvador are called) have taken to sushi like fish to... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salvador da Bahia"
- "Salvador - Africa in Brazil"
- "All I want is some ACARAJE!"
- "Salvador de Bahia: african roots are here"
- "Salvador Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salvador da Bahia
- Hotels in Salvador da Bahia
- Transportation in Salvador da Bahia
- Nightlife in Salvador da Bahia
- Restaurants in Salvador da Bahia
- Shopping in Salvador da Bahia
- Warnings and Dangers in Salvador da Bahia
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Salvador da Bahia
- 34 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Salvador da Bahia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salvador da Bahia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos
Latest Salvador da Bahia hotel reviews
- Hotel Casa do Amarelindo
- 388 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Bahiacafe Hotel
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Pousada do Boqueirao
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Pousada Terra Nossa
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 28, 2013
- Albergue do Pelo
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Atlantic Towers
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 21, 2013
- Nega Maluca Guesthouse
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 8, 2013
- Barra Guest Hostel
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Albergue dos Anjos
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Albergue das Laranjeiras
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 31, 2012
- Pousada da Mangueira
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Village Novo
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 16, 2013
- Pousada da Saude
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2012