"Phi Phi Island - Hidden Jewel in the Andaman Sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Phi Phi Don by MikeAtSea
Ko Phi Phi Don Travel Guide: 491 reviews and 1,401 photos
Once a backpacker’s best kept secret, Phi Phi island (a title which invariably refers to the habited Phi Phi Don as opposed to the uninhabited Phi Phi Leh) is one of the most beautiful of the Andaman Sea islands belonging to Thailand. In fact there are several islands in the archipelago but only one has any development. Most visitors come for a day trip, visiting several, while others opt to stay awhile on Phi Phi Don.
Words do little justice to the awesome coastal scenery surrounding the islands and while photographs can capture the essence, those who experience it for themselves will tell you that the real things is worth a thousand words or pictures. The classic butterfly shape of Phi Phi Don, with its two distinctive back-to-back bays is one of the world’s most spectacular seascapes.
The Tsunami reverted the island to a natural undeveloped state The 2004 Tsunami took its toll on the island and the burgeoning tourist development was completedly devastated. The recovery has been slow due to the authorities’ reluctance to allow unchecked development too close to the beach, and this has actually had a positive effect on the island. Whereas many considered the island to be overrun and spoilt before the tragedy, it now seems to have returned the island more to its natural state. Although there are fewer beds available on the island, those who come as day trippers experience a much more beautiful Phi Phi Don.
Entry into Thailand is relativley easy. Almost every nationality obtains a visa for 30 days at the point of entry. Only... more travel advice
Padong is situated on the Western side of Phi Phi Leh. A stunning dive site that boast various corals, walls, canyons... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Ko Phi Phi Don Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Local are still struggling for their life"
- "Phi Phi Island - Hidden Jewel in the Andaman Sea"
- "Phi Phi Islands"
- "Beautiful Ko Phi Phi Islands"
- "Phi Phi & Khai Island"
- "An island paradise(lost?)"
- "Where Are You Going? To The Beach!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Transportation in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Nightlife in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Restaurants in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Shopping in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Warnings and Dangers in Ko Phi Phi Don
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ko Phi Phi Don
- 29 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Ko Phi Phi Don?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Posted in Travel Durban Forum "Re: Dolphin Viewing In Umhlanga..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Phi Phi Island - Hidden Jewel in the Andaman Sea"
- created a Ko Phi Phi Don Travel Page "Phi Phi Island - Hidden Jewel in the Andaman Sea"
- Wrote a Review Thai Immigration in Ko Phi Phi Don Favorites
- Commented on one of SLLiew's Ko Phi Phi Don travel pages
Photos in Ko Phi Phi DonSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos