"Toulon - Starting Point of Napoleon" Top 5 Page for this destination Toulon by MikeAtSea
Toulon Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 334 photos
Built around a sheltered bay, with 1,700-foot Mount Faron as an impressive backdrop, Toulon is an important naval port and a city of industry and manufacturing. Its large harbour serves as the base for the French navy’s Mediterranean fleet and as the home to a sizeable marina, with yachts and pleasure boats adding bright splashes of colour.
Toulon was the site where Napoleon Bonaparte first made a name for himself in 1793 during a siege in which the English, who had taken over Toulon, were expelled.
During World War II, the bulk of the French fleet anchored off Toulon was scuttled by French crews to prevent its acquisition by occupying German forces. The city was liberated in 1944 by French troops.
A maze of pedestrian streets constitutes the heart of old Toulon. Shops and colourful stalls make it an attractive area to explore. Avenue de la République runs parallel to the waterfront. At the western edge of the quay, the Naval Museum may be worth visiting by those with an interest in Toulon’s maritime history.
The town’s attractions can be seen in a fairly short time. Most visitors come here to explore the hinterland and other parts of the Riviera.
Look for items indicative of the Provence, such as olive oil, honey, herbs and soaps. Store hours are generally from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. The Mayol Commercial Centre near the port stays open throughout the day, while the local market takes only place in the morning. The local currency is the euro.
Your best choices are the restaurants and cafés along the waterfront. Fish and seafood are popular dishes along with local specialties.
Take a walk in the old town with its lively atmosphere. Highlights include the Romanesque Church of Sainte-Marie-Majeure, which was begun in the 11th century, the Church of Saint-Louis and the local market.
At the western end of the harbour stands an old arsenal building, now housing the Naval Museum. It features models of ships, figureheads, paintings and other items related to Toulon’s maritime history. Be sure to check opening hours.
Trips around the bay depart from Quai de la Sinse (commentary is in French).
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Toulon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "… la chose enivrante: la liberté ! la liberté !"
- "On and Off the Road in Toulon"
- "Toulon - Mediterrannean coast"
- "Toulon - Starting Point of Napoleon"
- "Changed Plans"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Toulon
- Hotels in Toulon
- Transportation in Toulon
- Nightlife in Toulon
- Restaurants in Toulon
- Shopping in Toulon
- Warnings and Dangers in Toulon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Toulon
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Toulon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Toulon
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos