"Maria Laach - Ancient Monastery" Top 5 Page for this destination Maria Laach by MikeAtSea
Maria Laach Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 90 photos
Maria Laach, originally Abbatia S. Mariae ad Lacum or just “Laach” (lake) is situated in a geologically interesting area near the largest of the Eifel Lakes, surrounded by green forests, meadows and fields. The present name dates only from the 19th century, when it was adopted by the Jesuit order who established their Collegium Maximum here from 1863 to 1872. The lake owes its origin to a volcanic cave-in; it is a maar and not a crater lake, as often been assumed. It is true that a violent eruption took place at a time when man already settled here. The ejected pumiceous cinders were deposited towards the east far beyond the Rhine and all over the Westerwald. They are the origin of the pumice block industry that one can find today in the region.
The Laach area first became important in 1093 when Count Palatine Henry II of the House of Luxemburg-Salm and his consort, Adelheid of Orlamünde conceived the plan of founding a Benedictine abbey here. Richly endowed, it was to be a centre for the praise of God and also the last resting place of the childless founders.
The first monks who lived here were summoned from the Abbey of St. Maimin at Trier.
The church was consecrated in the year 1156 and with this the young foundation prospered. During French occupation the monastery was oppressed and for 90 years the church stood deserted. Hence in the year 1862 the monastery was transferred into the hands of the Jesuit order.
Today the church and monastery as well as the adjacent buildings are a popular place to visit.
The Eifel Region consists of plenty forested landscapes that are home to deer and wild boar as well as other game.... more travel advice
The nursery which is administered by the monks of the monastery offers a great selection of local and regional plants as... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Maria Laach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WELCOME TO MY MARIA LAACH / EIFEL PAGE ......:-)"
- "Maria Laach - Ancient Monastery"
- "Maria Laach"
- "Maria Laach Abbey"
- "It Exists"
- "MARIA LAACH"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maria Laach
- Hotels in Maria Laach
- Transportation in Maria Laach
- Restaurants in Maria Laach
- Warnings and Dangers in Maria Laach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maria Laach
- 18 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Maria Laach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maria Laach
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos