"K.L. - The most cosmopolitan Asian capital" Kuala Lumpur by MikeAtSea
Kuala Lumpur Travel Guide: 5,981 reviews and 13,478 photos
Kuala Lumpur, commonly known as “KL,” has developed around the Y-shaped junction of the two rivers, the Klang and Gombak. In the space of a century, the city grew from a trading post and tin mining shantytown into a colonial capital. By 1896, Kuala Lumpur had steadily developed into the capital of the New Federated Malay States.
Today it is a cosmopolitan, modern business hub and the centre of government. With a population of about two million, it is one of Southeast Asia’s smallest capitals.
The rapidly growing business center of KL and its industrial satellites are gaining the lion’s share of the country’s manufacturing investment. Scores of stylish high-rise office blocks have gone up, contrasting sharply with the Victorian and Moghul-style buildings, the Art Deco central market and the Chinese shop-houses.
The 1,483-feet-high Petronas Twin Towers, symbols for the astounding growth that has taken place in Malaysia over the last two decades, surpassed the Sears Tower in Chicago as the world’s second tallest building, and was only recently superseded by the 1,670-feet Taipei 101 building in Taiwan.
Kuala Lumpur makes great efforts to create a new Malaysian architecture that will lend the city a more integrated look and a national identity. However, it is the unique blend of traditional Malay heritage, British colonial architecture, Chinese and Indian cultures that make KL such an interesting place to visit.
Do you know that more then 40 Million sharks are killed every year! This particulary because of shark finning and the... more travel advice
China Town or Petaling Street as it is properly known offers a very different character. It is a colourful street with... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Kuala Lumpur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kuala Lumpur"
- "Kuala Lumpur - My Home"
- "KL - where the rivers (and all things else) meet."
- "-=Latest & Happening In Town=-"
- "I grew up here!!!"
- "JALAN BUKIT BINTANG"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kuala Lumpur
- Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
- Transportation in Kuala Lumpur
- Nightlife in Kuala Lumpur
- Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
- Shopping in Kuala Lumpur
- Warnings and Dangers in Kuala Lumpur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kuala Lumpur
- 16 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Kuala Lumpur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuala Lumpur
Photos in Kuala LumpurSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos