"Adenau – Main Town of the High Eifel Region" Adenau by MikeAtSea
Adenau Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 28 photos
Adenau is in the High Eifel region some 300 meters above altitude. It is surrounded by the Hohe Acht (747m) and the Nürburg (678m) which are about 5 to 6 km away.
The town is a little more city like in comparison to the rural farming communities that comprise most of the Eifel region.
Some of its income is generated by the Nürburg Ring race course that was opened in 1927.
Since Adenau is in a valley the town stretches out, only in recent years one has begun to build houses on the hills above the town centre.
The history of Adenau goes back to a document where Emperor Otto III from the year 992 which mentions the river “adenova flvvis” or Adenau River as well as the town Lower Adenau that is situated 5 km away from Adenau as “lierades adenove”.
Already the Romans passed the region in ancient times, archaeologists discovered Roman coins, graves and lamps when a water pipe as well as the road were built. It is believed that the Roman road moved from Tier to Adenau.
A boost to the town came in 1601 when market rights were given to the small settlement. It was then allowed to hold four yearly markets and certain weekly markets for the region.
French troops occupied the region from 1801 to 1814 and after the French left Adenau became part of the Prussia.
During World War II 50% of the town was destroyed.
Today the city is a little pretty yet bustling town that serves the community of the High Eifel region and many people come here on a daily basis to do their shopping. The historical town centre and Buttermarkt centre offer a magnificent resemblance of the old architecture and the splendour of buildings done in the medieval times.
Modernity with a number of events on the Race Course keeps visitors from all over the world flocking to the Eifel each year.
Almost every town and city in Germany offers a Christmas market, where besides Glühwein and other traditional beverages... more travel advice
This is a very different kart race course right next door to the famous Nuerburg Ring. 60 karts are available to race... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Adenau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Adenau – Main Town of the High Eifel Region"
- "Adenauer Racing-Day 2007"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Adenau
- Transportation in Adenau
- Restaurants in Adenau
- Shopping in Adenau
- Warnings and Dangers in Adenau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Adenau
- 23 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Adenau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Adenau
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos