"Altenahr - In the heart of the Ahr Wine Region" Altenahr by MikeAtSea
Altenahr Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 164 photos
Wine growing in the Ahr boasts a rich tradition. The Romans prized the sunny slopes that characterise the Middle Ahr Valley. The world’s first wine growers co-operative was founded in 1868 in this region. The main varieties grown in the region are Spätburgunder and Portugieser, as well as Frühburgunder and the white Riesling and Müller-Thurgau varieties. The gastronomy, ranging from hearty fare to delicacies that delight even the gourmand’s palate always complements some of the excellent Ahr wines.
Altenahr is one of those friendly wine growing towns along the river Ahr. The Red Wine Trail starts here as a hiking trail for 35 km through the vineyards to Bad Bodendorf.
The 900 year old ruins of the Are Castle, which can be seen rising above the town at the top of the jagged mountain resemble the early times when history was made in this part of the world.
Altenahr today is probably one of the most popular towns along the Ahr Valley and the majority of businesses are concentrated towards the tourism industry. The main road of Altenahr is lined with hotels, restaurants, cafés and apartments.
Many weekend visitors, bowling clubs, wine lovers and nature lovers come to this region to explore one of the more unknown regions of central Europe.
This is Altenahrs most traditional hotel. Since 1160 an inn was recorded where you can find the present time hotel. Nice... more travel advice
The Red Wine Hiking Trail starts in the town of Altenahr with the hike up to the Castle Are. From there one simply... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Altenahr Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Red wine - here I come"
- "Burg and wine"
- "Altenahr - In the heart of the Ahr Wine Region"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Altenahr
- Hotels in Altenahr
- Transportation in Altenahr
- Nightlife in Altenahr
- Restaurants in Altenahr
- Shopping in Altenahr
- Warnings and Dangers in Altenahr
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cocoa Beach Hotels
- Jekyll Island Hotels
- Lilongwe Hotels
- Arraial do Cabo
- Bombay Beach Hotels
- San Miguel de Cozumel
- Terekhol Hotels
- Ruawai Hotels
- Departamento de Islas de la Bahía
- Punta de Mita
- La Playa de Mogán
Badges & Stats in Altenahr
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Altenahr?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Altenahr
Photos in AltenahrSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos