"Bago – Monks, Pagodas and bustling Myanmar" Top 5 Page for this destination Bago by MikeAtSea

Bago Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 196 photos

Leaving the capital city of Myanmar Yangon on the western road one reaches a smaller copy of the capital – the town of Bago. Being two hours away from Yangon the city supplies quiet a large community of rural population around it.
Since many nations have set Myanmar on the ban list for international tourism our small group leaving the ship were the only ones that were found exploring this charming town.
I learned about the hardship of the people as well as the unbreakable spirit of the Burmese was something that impressed me greatly.
Bago is a town rich in tradition, many pagodas, temples and one of the largest monasteries that I have seen in South East Asia. The monastery of Bago is home to some 1000 monks who daily arrive to get their only hot meal per day, and the arrival is in complete silence, witnessing this is something unbelievable.
The leaning Buddha and many beautiful temples are also scene of a strong bond with the Buddhist tradition.
The colourful local market is another area of interest, many people of the surrounding rural areas come here to sell or buy and it is one of the busiest parts of the town.
History of the recent past is also part of Myanmar. Japanese occupation, war camps, battles and the building of the rail road to Burma have left many Allied Grave Yards behind where thousands of British, Australian, South African, Canadian and Indian soldiers left their lives to liberate this part of the world from Japanese occupation.

Before arriving to Myanmar I was in doubt if it was right to visit it, but I know that from our visit many people have taken benefit that else would not have. Also I have learned of a country, its traditions and strong hospitality and this combined with a region that is seldom visited and hence to as run over by tourists as other parts of South East Asia, as one can see on the picture here – even the youngest are full of spirit and overwhelmingly friendly.
The journey to Myanmar I can only recommend to everyone!

• Last visit to Bago: Nov 2003
  • Intro Written Feb 19, 2005

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2010 at 3:43 AM

Myanmar is on the top of my travel wish list so I was happy to know about another destination to visit there. Thanks for sharing.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2009 at 10:01 PM

I haven't been to Burma yet. Excellent tips on Bago.

• drolkar's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2007 at 5:06 AM

Cute kids! :) Thank you for this informative page...

• Bigs's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2005 at 9:17 AM

Intersting page about an unusual travel destination. I like the pics of the monastery...

MikeAtSea

“Travel with your eyes wide open and experience the world!”

Badges & Stats in Bago