"Eltz Castle - A Castle Par Excellence" Burg Eltz by MikeAtSea
Burg Eltz Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 60 photos
Medieval castles which we now admire throughout Central Europe for their romantic atmosphere began to develop in the 9th and 10th century. What had been previously manor houses with protective earth walls and palisades became well fortified castles surrounded by strong defensive walls.
Castle building had its heyday from the late 11th to 13th century, the period of the Hohenstaufen. Apart form many castles, a number of towns were founded.
The name Eltz was first mentioned during this period. The Emperor's officer, Rudolph Eltz is mentioned as a witness in a deed of gift of Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa in 1157.
Parts of the castle in which Rudolph von Eltz lived were a late Romanesque tower with living quarters and the remains of the Romanesque house in the lower floor. That was the start of a lavish castle which one can view today.
The highly strategic position of the Lower Eltz, a tributary of the Moselle River was undoubtedly decisive when the castle was first built. It was built on a route which linked the Moselle River, always one of the most important trade routes with the Eifel and the fertile Maifeld.
The 70 meters high, elliptical head of rocks forms the foundation of the entire castle. The rock is surrounded on three sides by the River Eltz. The castle's ground plan therefore, is oval in keeping with the natural features of the rock below.
The boom of the castle came in the 15th century. This was when under Lancelot and Wilhelm vom Silbernen Loewen decided on a great building activity.
This castle is one of the few castles that have not been destroyed, as the landlords appeared always to be on the correct sides of the invaders, therefore it is a prime example of how the nobility lived in ancient times.
The Castle Eltz is situated in the green hills of the Eifel Region a paradise for hikers and nature lovers. Besides... more travel advice
Your entrance ticket includes a guided tour through the castle chambers. Tours start on Good Friday in March and end on... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Burg Eltz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Eltz Castle - A Castle Par Excellence"
- "Burg Eltz: A Rich Man's Castle"
- "Burg Eltz"
- "Burg Eltz"
- "BURG ELTZ"
- "Treasure on Mosel"
- "Burg Eltz, Germany"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Burg Eltz
- Transportation in Burg Eltz
- Restaurants in Burg Eltz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Burg Eltz
- 10 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Burg Eltz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burg Eltz
Photos in Burg EltzSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos