"Dormagen / Zons – Medieval Customs Town" Dormagen by MikeAtSea
Dormagen Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 84 photos
The contrast of Zons a pretty medieval historical town along the Rhine River to the industrial town of Dormagen spread out on the horizon is quiet steep.
On the one side on can stroll and discover historical houses and on the horizon the chemical industry and a large power plant spew out fumes into the sky.
Zons draws a few hundred thousand visitors each year, and it was also the place where I joined my first VT meeting.
First mentioning of the town Zons one can find in historical books already in the year 1288 after the House of Zunce was destroyed in the Battle of Worringen. The years following the battle the decision was made to move the customs control from the town of Neuss which is further north to the town of Zons.
Hence the town was formed in the 14th century by Bishop Friedrich von Saarwerden with the main purpose to control the taxes and excise duties for goods been brought in and out of the district of Cologne.
Almost the entire town has been left as it was built some 600 years ago and the fortifications particularly on the Southern side are quiet remarkable. This also explains the nick name for Zons which is the Rothenburg along the Rhine.
Today many events such as open air theatre, the annual Matthäusmarkt; a medieval crafts market and other art markets draw visitors to this town.
The surroundings of the town Zons are protected nature reserves and one can enjoy long walks along the green zone of the Rhine River.
Thank you to Winfried for organising this stunning day and all the VT members who I was able to meet. It was really a great afternoon and a new destination for me to explore! Thank you again!
One of the two churches in the town centre is the St. Martinus Roman Catholic Church. The church is situated right in... more travel advice
The old customs house of Zons has been carefully renovated to host a restaurant on two floors. The upper floor overlooks... more travel advice
MikeAtSea's Related Pages
Dormagen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dormagen / Zons – Medieval Customs Town"
- "A Zons Page again"
- "Medieval Zons"
- "Zons/Dormagen VT Meeting Sunday 27th February"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dormagen
- Transportation in Dormagen
- Restaurants in Dormagen
- Shopping in Dormagen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dormagen
- 18 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Dormagen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dormagen
Photos in DormagenSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos