" Michael's Travel Logue " MikeAtSea's Profile
Welcome to my Virtual Travel Page.
I have made travel my passion of life. I obtained a tourism degree in travel from a Swiss and Austrian College and thrown myself into the travel industry for the last 20 odd years. For many years the tourism industry in Southern Africa and as senior officer onboard various cruise ships sailing the world.
Recently I was approached by a TV production house to host a travel program show casing the African continent through African Eyes - and now my adventure continues traveling to destinations in Africa showing off the African - or what I say the shining continent to the rest of the world!
By now I was able to travel to over 150 countries and with this gathered experiences and most important was able to open my horizon to new cultures and traditions. In 2011 and 2012 Rwanda, South Sudan, Ghana, Cameroon, Tunisia, Senegal, Malawi and Mozambique are on the itinerary plus a few other countries around the world.
Something that strikes me the most when visiting a country are its people. And at the way I receive hospitality in a foreign country is probably the most enjoyable factor of my visit – and one which fulfills a visit to me. I have visited regions of this globe with perceptions that very soon changed, being guided by the media or at times also travel companies.
I have done some crazy trips in my life – or so people say – but all the time I was able to see with my eyes the true side of a country, at times moving into slums, squatter camps or the poorest regions in Asia, South America or Africa, I have slept in some of the best hotels a city can offer and eaten in good restaurants but what was always important to me is to see the whole picture of a country, the glitter side, and those which do not glitter that much and to receive the real picture.
On these pages I am slowly but surely adding my experiences of the countries, regions and cities that I visited. I hope you find the information useful for your own travels and since I am always on the move make sure to visit back – since I will update this page continuously.
Every time I visit a foreign country I am let by words a seasoned traveler told me a few years ago: Travel with your eyes and your heart open – and be an ambassador of your country. With that in mind and heart I have gained some of the best and most memorable moments of my life.
Some of my favouritesat present are
Mahe, Praslin and La Digue pages.
Some of my VT pages include a comprehensive overview of Africa and experiences of my visit to Antarctica and my short exploration of Moscow
Make sure to re-visit since I update this web page all the time.
In the next year I have the pleasure of exploring more of the African continent - including South Sudan the youngest country on the African continent. Watch this space for updates!
Some of the latest additions you can find on my travel map:
Burg Eltz Germany
Currently 59 of my pages are listed as top 5, some of them are:
Kruger National Park
Phi Phi Island
With all my travels to date I have flown almost a million kilometers around the world, if I calculate air speed and distance travelled I spent so far 47 full days at 30.000 feet and above. Over the years air travel has certainly changed, yet some airlines outshine others, and some are simply bad.
The good airlines I have flown with:
Nationwide (gone bust), South African Airways, Cathay Pacific, LAN Chile, Luthansa, Ethiopian Airlines, Gulf Air, Emirates, Singapore Airlines, Finair, Swissair, British Airways, British Midlands, Air Malaysia, Thai Airways, Qantas, Luxair, Air Canada, Bangkok Airways, Rwanda Express Air, KLM, Air Dolomiti
The so so airlines I have flown with:
Alitalia, Air France, TAM Brazil, Air Gabon, Alitalia, Iberia, Olympic Airlines, Condor, Vietnam Airlines, TAP Air Portugal, Air Madagascar, Air Botswana, Brussels Airways, Deutsche BA, Tunis Air, South African Express, Interlink Airlines
The bad airlines I have flown with:
American Airlines, LTU, China Air, Rossiya Air, Air Europa, Zambian Airways, Egypt Air, Air Seychelles
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Ocean City Hotels
- Hong Kong Hotels
- Blue Mountain Beach Hotels
- Vigan Hotels
- Trinidad and Tobago Hotels
- East Nashville Hotels
- Malgrat de Mar
- Marin City Hotels
- Agus Hotels
- Guyana Hotels
- Cebu City
- Palma de Mallorca
- La Spezia
- Jelutong Hotels
- Islamabad Hotels
- Grand Cayman Hotels
- Laoag City
- Lake Simcoe Hotels
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 2,923 Reviews
- 5,404 Photos
- 82 Countries
- 203 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
- MikeAtSea and sabsi are now friends.
- Wrote a Review RwandAir in Rwanda Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "RwandAir"
- created a Rwanda Travel Page "Rwanda - A new African Dawn"
- Commented on veronicaini's profile page
updated their Profile Page " Michael's Travel Logue "
- Posted in Travel Durban Forum "Re: Dolphin Viewing In Umhlanga..."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22465 Reviews - 54992 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7926 Photos
- Subic Hotels
- 246 Reviews - 861 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23318 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos