" Michael's Travel Logue " MikeAtSea's Profile

Welcome to my Virtual Travel Page.
I have made travel my passion of life. I obtained a tourism degree in travel from a Swiss and Austrian College and thrown myself into the travel industry for the last 20 odd years. For many years the tourism industry in Southern Africa and as senior officer onboard various cruise ships sailing the world.
Recently I was approached by a TV production house to host a travel program show casing the African continent through African Eyes - and now my adventure continues traveling to destinations in Africa showing off the African - or what I say the shining continent to the rest of the world!

By now I was able to travel to over 150 countries and with this gathered experiences and most important was able to open my horizon to new cultures and traditions. In 2011 and 2012 Rwanda, South Sudan, Ghana, Cameroon, Tunisia, Senegal, Malawi and Mozambique are on the itinerary plus a few other countries around the world.

Something that strikes me the most when visiting a country are its people. And at the way I receive hospitality in a foreign country is probably the most enjoyable factor of my visit – and one which fulfills a visit to me. I have visited regions of this globe with perceptions that very soon changed, being guided by the media or at times also travel companies.

I have done some crazy trips in my life – or so people say – but all the time I was able to see with my eyes the true side of a country, at times moving into slums, squatter camps or the poorest regions in Asia, South America or Africa, I have slept in some of the best hotels a city can offer and eaten in good restaurants but what was always important to me is to see the whole picture of a country, the glitter side, and those which do not glitter that much and to receive the real picture.

On these pages I am slowly but surely adding my experiences of the countries, regions and cities that I visited. I hope you find the information useful for your own travels and since I am always on the move make sure to visit back – since I will update this page continuously.

Every time I visit a foreign country I am let by words a seasoned traveler told me a few years ago: Travel with your eyes and your heart open – and be an ambassador of your country. With that in mind and heart I have gained some of the best and most memorable moments of my life.

My last highlight

Some of my favouritesat present are
Mahe, Praslin and La Digue pages.

Some of my VT pages include a comprehensive overview of Africa and experiences of my visit to Antarctica and my short exploration of Moscow

Make sure to re-visit since I update this web page all the time.

My Travel Plans for 2012

In the next year I have the pleasure of exploring more of the African continent - including South Sudan the youngest country on the African continent. Watch this space for updates!

Some of the latest additions you can find on my travel map:
P'aju Korea
Qingdau China
Tianjin China
Burg Eltz Germany
Valletta Malta

With all my travels to date I have flown almost a million kilometers around the world, if I calculate air speed and distance travelled I spent so far 47 full days at 30.000 feet and above. Over the years air travel has certainly changed, yet some airlines outshine others, and some are simply bad.

The good airlines I have flown with:
Nationwide (gone bust), South African Airways, Cathay Pacific, LAN Chile, Luthansa, Ethiopian Airlines, Gulf Air, Emirates, Singapore Airlines, Finair, Swissair, British Airways, British Midlands, Air Malaysia, Thai Airways, Qantas, Luxair, Air Canada, Bangkok Airways, Rwanda Express Air, KLM, Air Dolomiti

The so so airlines I have flown with:
Alitalia, Air France, TAM Brazil, Air Gabon, Alitalia, Iberia, Olympic Airlines, Condor, Vietnam Airlines, TAP Air Portugal, Air Madagascar, Air Botswana, Brussels Airways, Deutsche BA, Tunis Air, South African Express, Interlink Airlines

The bad airlines I have flown with:
American Airlines, LTU, China Air, Rossiya Air, Air Europa, Zambian Airways, Egypt Air, Air Seychelles

• Intro Updated Oct 23, 2011

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2014 at 3:39 AM

Mike, happy birthday!) Best wishes from Ukraine! >>>

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Michael, Happy Birthday. PJ

• Nov 13, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Thanks Michael your photo looks great!

• maysue's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Happy Belated Birthday, Mike! Have a great year of travels!

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Happy birthday Mike! Hope your day was fun.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Hi Michael, Happy Birthday. Cheers from Penang island, SL Liew :)

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Hi Mike, still doing some amazing travels its great to see! Been enjoying David Attenborough's new series Africa - a vision of beauty, fantastic photography. Hopefully I will get to see more of Africa in the limited time I will have spare this year otherwise will be back in China....all the best with the rest of 2013!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Hello, Michael! Happy birthday to you!

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I think you should visit New Zealand to add to your adventures :-)

• Parisforless's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2012 at 7:31 AM

It's never to late to wish you a happy birthday and many more to come!!!
    Svetlana Bellon

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
MikeAtSea's Profile Photo

MikeAtSea

“Travel with your eyes wide open and experience the world!”

Real Name