" Michael's Travel Logue " MikeAtSea's Profile
Welcome to my Virtual Travel Page.
I have made travel my passion of life. I obtained a tourism degree in travel from a Swiss and Austrian College and thrown myself into the travel industry for the last 20 odd years. For many years the tourism industry in Southern Africa and as senior officer onboard various cruise ships sailing the world.
Recently I was approached by a TV production house to host a travel program show casing the African continent through African Eyes - and now my adventure continues traveling to destinations in Africa showing off the African - or what I say the shining continent to the rest of the world!
By now I was able to travel to over 150 countries and with this gathered experiences and most important was able to open my horizon to new cultures and traditions. In 2011 and 2012 Rwanda, South Sudan, Ghana, Cameroon, Tunisia, Senegal, Malawi and Mozambique are on the itinerary plus a few other countries around the world.
Something that strikes me the most when visiting a country are its people. And at the way I receive hospitality in a foreign country is probably the most enjoyable factor of my visit – and one which fulfills a visit to me. I have visited regions of this globe with perceptions that very soon changed, being guided by the media or at times also travel companies.
I have done some crazy trips in my life – or so people say – but all the time I was able to see with my eyes the true side of a country, at times moving into slums, squatter camps or the poorest regions in Asia, South America or Africa, I have slept in some of the best hotels a city can offer and eaten in good restaurants but what was always important to me is to see the whole picture of a country, the glitter side, and those which do not glitter that much and to receive the real picture.
On these pages I am slowly but surely adding my experiences of the countries, regions and cities that I visited. I hope you find the information useful for your own travels and since I am always on the move make sure to visit back – since I will update this page continuously.
Every time I visit a foreign country I am let by words a seasoned traveler told me a few years ago: Travel with your eyes and your heart open – and be an ambassador of your country. With that in mind and heart I have gained some of the best and most memorable moments of my life.
Some of my favouritesat present are
Mahe, Praslin and La Digue pages.
Some of my VT pages include a comprehensive overview of Africa and experiences of my visit to Antarctica and my short exploration of Moscow
Make sure to re-visit since I update this web page all the time.
In the next year I have the pleasure of exploring more of the African continent - including South Sudan the youngest country on the African continent. Watch this space for updates!
Some of the latest additions you can find on my travel map:
Burg Eltz Germany
Currently 59 of my pages are listed as top 5, some of them are:
Kruger National Park
Phi Phi Island
With all my travels to date I have flown almost a million kilometers around the world, if I calculate air speed and distance travelled I spent so far 47 full days at 30.000 feet and above. Over the years air travel has certainly changed, yet some airlines outshine others, and some are simply bad.
The good airlines I have flown with:
Nationwide (gone bust), South African Airways, Cathay Pacific, LAN Chile, Luthansa, Ethiopian Airlines, Gulf Air, Emirates, Singapore Airlines, Finair, Swissair, British Airways, British Midlands, Air Malaysia, Thai Airways, Qantas, Luxair, Air Canada, Bangkok Airways, Rwanda Express Air, KLM, Air Dolomiti
The so so airlines I have flown with:
Alitalia, Air France, TAM Brazil, Air Gabon, Alitalia, Iberia, Olympic Airlines, Condor, Vietnam Airlines, TAP Air Portugal, Air Madagascar, Air Botswana, Brussels Airways, Deutsche BA, Tunis Air, South African Express, Interlink Airlines
The bad airlines I have flown with:
American Airlines, LTU, China Air, Rossiya Air, Air Europa, Zambian Airways, Egypt Air, Air Seychelles
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 2,923 Reviews
- 5,404 Photos
- 82 Countries
- 203 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
- MikeAtSea and sabsi are now friends.
- Wrote a Review RwandAir in Rwanda Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "RwandAir"
- created a Rwanda Travel Page "Rwanda - A new African Dawn"
- Commented on veronicaini's profile page
updated their Profile Page " Michael's Travel Logue "
- Posted in Travel Durban Forum "Re: Dolphin Viewing In Umhlanga..."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 80 reviews, 162 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 82 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durban Intro, 67 reviews, 77 photos
- Sydney Intro, 57 reviews, 71 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 49 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lesotho Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos
- Moscow Intro, 29 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 34 reviews, 72 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22165 Reviews - 53882 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15523 Reviews - 30894 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23062 Reviews - 47262 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26475 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1928 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17012 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1909 Reviews - 4464 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7633 Reviews - 19478 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos