"A Small Nibble of North Africa" Top 5 Page for this destination Province de Tanger by hquittner
Province de Tanger Travel Guide: 612 reviews and 1,600 photos
This is the only time we have been to Morocco. Our only other visit to Africa has been to Egypt, more than a decade earlier.The visit was an overnight "optional tour" offered with our 2 week stay in Torremolinos. After reaching our hotel in the outskirts of Tangier, we were fed a lunch of tagine and couscous and then taken for the afternoon to Asilah. The following morning we were bussed to the Caves of Hercules and Cape Spartel with views of the coast, before our final adventure: walking through the Grand Socco in Tangier with lunch in the Medina.(Restaurant Hammadi). 25 years earlier while on an independent tour of Andalusia we had contemplated visiting here, but were persuaded by friends to stay in Ronda instead (which was a good piece of advice).
The hotel was most solicitous (Hotel Ahlen) and welcoming. Next to its grounds was a large dinner- performance tent and a field with wooden spectator stands where we observed a short demonstration by native horsemen and were offered a (free) camel "ride". The other land adjacent to the hotel was poorly developed residential properties. Luckily the venture is blessed by a stork family, although I estimate that more than 1000 tourists a year pass through this experience from our agency alone.
Our evening was spent in the spectator stands and dinner tent next to the Hotel Ahlen. The show brought back memories to me of 75-80 years ago when I was exposed yo side-shows of traveling circuses and similar venues at Coney Island at the end Brooklyn, N.Y. or vaudeville shows in many places.(As a child I did not experience state fairs and their midways). (see our Travelogue for more).
- Pros:Something different
- Cons:We were too old and timid to go alone.
- In a nutshell:Better than never going at all
For most tourists the reason for being in Morocco is to visit Tangier.So it was with us on a 2 day "tour". Tangier is a... more travel advice
Less than 1 mile from the Caves of Hercules is Cape Spartel (5 miles from Tangier). It is the northwest tip of Africa,... more travel advice
Written Oct 8, 2006
Moroccan Entertainment (1)
Written Oct 8, 2006
Moroccan Entertainment (2)
hquittner's Related Pages
Province de Tanger Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "funky's new Morocco Page"
- "A Small Nibble of North Africa"
- "Culture shock"
- "A daytrip to Tanger..."
- "Tanger Arabic Nights"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province de Tanger
- Hotels in Province de Tanger
- Transportation in Province de Tanger
- Nightlife in Province de Tanger
- Restaurants in Province de Tanger
- Shopping in Province de Tanger
- Warnings and Dangers in Province de Tanger
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Province de Tanger
- 15 Reviews
- 88 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Province de Tanger?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province de Tanger
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos