"Create Mountain Music" Mountain View by hquittner
Mountain View Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 67 photos
Mountain View (pop.2,400) is a modest sized Arkansas town, like any small American town. Its population has grown modestly, because it is a tourist attraction of sorts. This has come about over the years through the past efforts of a talented musician school teacher whose stage name was “Jimmy Driftwood”, He recognized that the poor mountain folk had much to offer in their unintentional preservation of mountain music, folk music and crafts. He encouraged them to hone their skills and “come out”-perform and sell their wares. Ultmately he lobbied for and received federal grants and other monies which built a State Park and Performance Center.It is possible for people who like to “make music” to do so in the town square (except Sundays and Mondays). All “country” instruments and singers are welcome to participate. Bringing your own camp chair is a high sign of interest.
The last weekend of October is the Annual Bean Festival and cooking galore is on hand. This year the venerable( he is 83, 2 yrs my junior), Doc Watson performed at the Folk Center Auditorium (in the Folk Center) . I did not attend but my son, a” blue-grass” addict (whose web page is www.pickoids.com) and his best friend did go. His pictures last week,allow me to finish our Mountain View pages.
The Festival amplified by Doc Watson brought a large crowd, making parking and stay- over rooms difficult to find. On Saturday by 4PM the better restaurants (all out of town like Jack's) had a 2 hour wait. (See Tip on Dangers about tickets for the performance). I guess if beans are your thing you could get a mess of them at any of the booths and eat standing up.
- Pros:For Music and Crafts Lovers
- Cons:It gets crowded at times so be aware that you may not be alone.
- In a nutshell:If you like it you will love it.
When a famous entertainer performs and the public is aware of it, the turnout may be enormous, even in an "Off the... more travel advice
There are only the streets around the square and a few more extending blocks. The Courthouse stands in the square and... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Mountain View Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mountain View, Arkansas"
- "susie margaret and mountain view, arkansas, USA"
- "Create Mountain Music"
- "Natural Springs and Clear Water Pools"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mountain View
- Hotels in Mountain View
- Transportation in Mountain View
- Nightlife in Mountain View
- Restaurants in Mountain View
- Shopping in Mountain View
- Warnings and Dangers in Mountain View
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mountain View
- 7 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Mountain View?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mountain View
Photos in Mountain ViewSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos