"The Aging Tourist" Horseshoe Bend by hquittner
Horseshoe Bend Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 12 photos
What does a REAL sightseer do when they have grandchildren that are not old enough to participate in independent travel( and the grandparents may be too old also)? Go to a "vacation resort" where incremental "outings" will suffice. This was our second attempt. Our choice was tempered by logistics (a place within 1 days travel for each of the widely separated family units). We first chose Sevierville,Tenn. near the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. (Our writeup will come in the future).It was succeesful and so we decided upon Horseshoe Bend. Work imperatives reduced our number to3. We all like Arkansas (it was our home state together for 12 years). Once again we obtained accomodations via Time Share mechanism (in this case RCI). The resort was Crown Point Resort.
The resort is on Crown Point Lake (650 acres), a lake of modest size in the very North Central part of Arkansas at the edge of the Ozarks. It is 150 miles from Little Rock (2+ hours of not difficult drive). There are only three major attractions in the area !) The town of Mountain View with itsrural music and crafts, 2) Blanchard Caverns perhaps the largest in the world and 3)trout fishing from a boat on the Red or White Rivers (or other streams?) Beyond these we had to content ourselves with the warmth of family and creature comforts that the resort supplied.
We rented 2 one-bedroom units in a quadruple unit building. Although both units had identical kitchen units the upper one had a hot-tub and a balcony with a fine view and except for some TV viewing and gaming we congregated there. (We will describe the facilities in detail in a where to stay Tip). There is a marina about 2 miles off on the lake and one of our sons (a part-time professional fisherman) put his power boat in and moored it at our dock out front. Several children joined in fishihg from the pier-dock ad lib. We used the boat for riding around mostly since we are not water sports enthusiasts. The avid fishermen also fished here for bass but did not keep them for eating.
- In a nutshell:So restful that we may try it again, next year.
Even though the altiitude i less than 1000 feet, you are in the South. The daytime temperature in Summer goes over 90F... more travel advice
The resort is an independent/time-share and real estate development. I am not aware of any permnent retirees, but there... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Horseshoe Bend Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Horseshoe Bend
- Hotels in Horseshoe Bend
- Warnings and Dangers in Horseshoe Bend
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Horseshoe Bend
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Horseshoe Bend?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Horseshoe Bend
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos