"Something Different" Madurodam by hquittner
Madurodam Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 163 photos
This is a different touristic experience. In ways it is like going to the Wax Works. 50 years ago my father regaled me with his delight in a visit here. He was an inveterate traveller and had visited a large amount of Holland. He was also a perennial child and a successful entrepreneur with an intuitive streak that centered on creating manufactures. I, as a scholarly scientist was only mildly entertained. I too am a seasoned traveler but with little experience in Holland. I was frustrated by what I could not "see", and pleased by the craft involved in depicting what I could recognize ( of Amsterdam and Haarlem).
Certainly the children running about enjoyed the Lilliputian fantasy and the mechanical simulations (moving boats, cars and drawbridges, trains and amusement park rides (coin fee to operate). There are places to rest , food areas and a gift shop. Of couse children who had experienced the real objects expressed their enthusiasm in the recognitions (even as I did). It would be a lot less interesting to a naive viewer beyond the experience of the size adjustment, today's children are bombarded by working models and creative television images and may quickly loose interest unless they are searching for (or lead to) objects of reference. (In other words you may have to study up before you come here).
This may be a reason for visiting den Haag or a reason to go elsewhere in Holland.
- Pros:A remarkable example of craft and precision
- Cons:Too much or too little
- In a nutshell:One sees what one knows (Goethe)
It is hard to appreciate the details of something you have never seen or experienced, but as best we can tell from the... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Madurodam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Explore Holland in Miniature"
- "Holland in small size !!!"
- "Holland in't small..."
- "Madurodam - Around the Netherlands in 80 minutes"
- "Something Different"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madurodam
- Transportation in Madurodam
- Restaurants in Madurodam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madurodam
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Madurodam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madurodam
Photos in MadurodamSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos