"An artificial island" Neeltje Jans by hquittner
Neeltje Jans Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 43 photos
Neeltje Jans is an artificial island created to serve as the work area for building the major storm barrier for the Eastern Scheldt (1986). When it was finished part of it was permitted to be used as an educaational and recreational facility called Waterland. The Delta Works control center dor the dam is also on the island This building is not open to the public.
Waterland has its own parking area (fee) about 1 km from the control center. The Delta Exhibit and a boat trip view of the Delta Works are part of the admission fee to Waterland. There is also an area where one can walk out to the barrier, as well as many activities (mostly for the young or young at heart).
- Pros:Informative and an outing for children
- Cons:Weather can spoil your outing
- In a nutshell:Decide if this is for you if you are detouring here.
We did not take the boat cruise but befor we entered Waterland we stopped at the control station area and walked out... more travel advice
Essentiall what isoffered is a fast-food style cafeteria-line, but some hot dishes are there too. I had heard that one... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Neeltje Jans Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Delta Projects"
- "The Neeltje jans"
- "An artificial island"
- "Waterland Neeltje Jans"
- "Deltaworks - Dutch engineering"
- "Breaking the waves"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Neeltje Jans
- Transportation in Neeltje Jans
- Restaurants in Neeltje Jans
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Neeltje Jans
- 5 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Neeltje Jans?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Neeltje Jans
Photos in Neeltje JansSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos