"A Day in Trier" Trier by hquittner

Trier Travel Guide: 581 reviews and 1,457 photos

The Plan

As befits an ancient European city, Trier has a large number of Roman remains. Not only the famous Porta Nigra but 3 sets of baths, an amphitheater, parts of official buildings and a marvellous musuem full of Roman floor mosaics and other antiquities, topped off by very old churches. We decided that we could not see it all in one day but would do as much as we could.

Our Visit

Trier was the longest drive for a day-trip from our base in Gemuend (almost 110 km), taking 2 hours because it was only partly superhighway. Luckily there are many public parking garages in Trier, and we entered one called "Hauptmarkt". Getting our direction (by asking a passerby) we gound ourselves in the broad pedestrian zone of Simeonstrasse facing the Hauptmarkt (South) and the Porta Nigra (North). We went to the Gate hoping to see it and have a coffee and pastry in the Cloister of the monastery of St. Simeon. But we were told in the tourist office that it and the town museum were closed for a prolonged renovation. I am too old toclimb to the top of the Gate so we headed back down to the Steipe for lunch instead, before the noon crowds.The ambience of Trier is noatble and if the weather is right, eat out of doors, if you can. After lunch the ladies decided to examine the shopping while we men went to the Rhenisches Landesmuseum. We rendezvoused in the gardeen of th Archbishop's Palace and walked on to the Imperial Baths. Contemplating walking through the Baths and on to the Amphitheater (another 0.5 km), I gave up and contented my old body and eyes with peering through the fence along the N. edge. (I have seen many Baths elsewhere and of all.I prefer the room at the Cluny if I needed a bath, but none provide a masseur or the waters). So we returned toward the Hauptmarkt for pastry and coffee. Time was dwindling and we never got to the Cathedral either(even though it was less than a block away).

Summary

We enjoyed the Roman collection in the museum and spent 2 hours there. It is not as fine a collection (of course) as Naples, not as crowded as the Vatican or as cluttered as the Musei Capitolini on the Campidoglio, and the items were well displayed and labelled.I was sorry not to be able to sit in the Simeonstifft Cloister. In my younger days I proably would have seen all the houses and baths and still had beer after dark (and stayed the night). That is part of the difficulty in day trips. There is the time and fatigue of getting there and back.

• Pros:A fine visit for things Ancient-Roman
  • Cons:Be prepared for more getting around than there seems to be on paper.
  • In a nutshell:See it all
  • Last visit to Trier: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 14, 2006

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2006 at 12:06 PM

I spent a day in Trier last year, I can't believe how much I missed, lovely page.

hquittner