"A broken day trip" Top 5 Page for this destination Messina by hquittner
Messina Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 205 photos
Messina is a busy 270K port city with no interest in tourists (90% of whom are passing thru).It is narrow and long stretching along the Straits.It is a city of survivors and proud of it. The major monuments are in the Piazza del Duomo. This was our first day of sightseeing. We parked in a garage near the port and Stazione and to save time took a cab to theP.Our ultimate goal was to watch the automata of the Campanile. With an hour to spare we studied the Fountain of Orion, looked at the Astronomical clock of the C. and the details of the Duomo. The mechanical show lasted to 12:15. We walked back to the port (20 min) past the Statue of Don Juan and the Church of the Catalani to the port. The next hydrofoil was at 1:15 and there were no eateries in sight The nearest were too far so we fasted. We had decided to go to Reggio to see the Riace Bronzes. From the debark to the Museum by cab a relaxed viewing before closing and a very late fast Tavola Calda lunch while a cab was summoned and we were back in time for the hydrofoil landing near our garage by 4:30. Up the long Via Garabaldi and on to the Museo Regionale which is open late on Sat. Relaxed viewing until late(7:00) . Returning toward Via Boccetta we found everybody in M. out ina passagiata by car. By 8PM we were on the A18 to our base where we had a stylish dinner at 9PM.The traffic was so heavy that we could study the flood-lit Neptune fountai as we crawled by! Way to go.
- Pros:More than enough for a day
- Cons:I do not have timetables for this
- In a nutshell:I like Messina
The Campanile has been much reworked but maintains its civic centrality and Norman design topped by 4 pinnacles, a... more travel advice
The hydrofoil (I think it is government run) docks along the Quay about 100 yards north of the Statione Maritima. I do... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Messina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Messina and surroundings"
- "Enter Sicily via Messina"
- "A broken day trip"
- "The forgotten corner of Sicily"
- "Mt Etna"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Messina
- Hotels in Messina
- Transportation in Messina
- Nightlife in Messina
- Restaurants in Messina
- Shopping in Messina
- Warnings and Dangers in Messina
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Messina
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Messina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Messina
Photos in MessinaSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos
Latest Messina hotel reviews
- Scilla e Cariddi B&B
- 1 Review & Opinion