"A Good Place to Start Visiting Chateaux" Top 5 Page for this destination Angers by hquittner
Angers Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 283 photos
Angers is a goodly sized city (150K pop.) astride the Maine River just North of the Loire. At its center just beyond the river are its two top attractions (among many others): the Chateau and the Cathedral St.-Maurice. Surrounding these are an old town. The sights will fill an entire day (or more). We did our only visit as a day trip by car from our base 20 miles north in Anjou (see below).
20 years ago, at last children-free, we decided to spend the ensuing 7 years of vacations sightseeing in selected areas of France. Almost our first selection was the Loire Valley area. In those days there was no Internet. Guidebooks were superficial (except for Michelins, most of which were in French and hard to obtain). Luckily we found a new, obscure , helpful travel agency in N.Y.C. (frenchexperience.com), who helped us self-plan (their specialty in those days) a self-drive adventure. At that time, before TGV, it was the only way to go and as we see it today, this is still true.
A new type of accomodation presented itself. We had already experieced Pousadas and Paradores (in Portugal and Spain) and were ready expecting the same, except this was much better! We stayed at two chateaux for 3 nights each (plus one small inn) situated along the Loire (and not in cities). From these we mapped our daily and intervening chateaux and towns. Our hosts at the chateaux were helpful with maps, advice and instructions. At each venue we reserved table d'hote dinners or ate from a menu. (See our Hotel Tip under P.de Loire>La Jaille-Yvon for Angers and Centre>Chateau de Colliers for near Chambord. In the intervening years, we have rarely seen mention of this delightful way to be a tourist, although similar opportunites exist all over France and even Germany and Italy; but we have done this repeatedly (see the web sites for groups of them).
- Pros:A Fine Introduction to Medieval Life
- Cons:Like Many Other Places, You want to Spend More Time
- In a nutshell:A Good First Chateau
The restored Romanesque monastery buildings of the Abbey St. Aubin are the site of the city prefcture. Windows have been... more travel advice
The House of Adam is on Toussaint street opposite the North edge of the chevet of the cathedral. It is 15C,... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Angers Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Angers, France"
- "Angers: one of the best towns to live in"
- "Past and Present: Anjou or Loire?"
- "A Good Place to Start Visiting Chateaux"
- "Chateau d'Anger and the Apocalypse Tapestry"
- "Angers, a wonderful French town"
- "Aussie in Angers for 6 months"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Angers
- Hotels in Angers
- Transportation in Angers
- Nightlife in Angers
- Restaurants in Angers
- Shopping in Angers
- Warnings and Dangers in Angers
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Angers
- 14 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Angers?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angers
Photos in AngersSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos