"Untouched in the Eye of the Storm" Top 5 Page for this destination Bayeux by hquittner
Bayeux Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 588 photos
Bayeux (pop. 15K) is a plain small city with the good fortune not to be a railhead and far enough inland not to be a port, thus not worth defending. Its main attractions were thus fortunately spared the destruction of WWII and it was the first city liberated in France (unscathed). It has intact old buildings and a Norman Romanesque-Gothic Cathedral of great merit. And best of all it is the “guardian” of the historical evidences of the two modern military crossings of the English Channel (900 years apart).
We have stayed at Bayeux twice, each time to see the WWII invasion battlefields, the famous Bayeux Embroidery and the Cathedral. We have arrived from sightseeing to the West (Mont St. Michel) and the East (Caen).
The battlefields at the waters’ edge today have been smoothed with time and plant life (grass, etc). It takes motion pictures and photography to bring it to life (especially cinematic treatment). Just as gripping are the vast cemeteries and memorial monuments. Having missed being a participant here by a turn of fate, I can only stare and shudder. There are several cemeteries and monuments along this coast.
- Pros:A Good Sightseeing Base
- In a nutshell:Worth Visiting and Staying Overnight
They are not in Bayeux, but are closer to small towns on or near the shore east or west of Bayeux. Only a World War II... more travel advice
The "Tapestry" is a detailed and complex historical exercise on the Norman Conquest of Britain in 1066. It has 58 almost... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Bayeux Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The wonderful town of Bayeux"
- "BAYEUX, still a medieval city"
- "Bayeux: City of Conquest"
- "BAYEUX AND NORMANDY"
- "Untouched in the Eye of the Storm"
- "The town of Reine Mathilde"
- "My Trip to the Beaches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bayeux
- Hotels in Bayeux
- Transportation in Bayeux
- Nightlife in Bayeux
- Restaurants in Bayeux
- Shopping in Bayeux
- Warnings and Dangers in Bayeux
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bayeux
- 14 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Bayeux?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bayeux
- Posted in Travel Sestri Levante Forum "Re: we plan to go to Sestri..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Everybody Visits the Bayeux Tapestry"
- Wrote a Review Where Are the D-Day Invasion Beaches? in Bayeux Favorites
- updated a Bayeux Travel Page "Untouched in the Eye of the Storm"
- Commented on one of Segolily's Bayeux travel pages
Photos in BayeuxSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos