"A Wine Center with an Art Treausre" Beaune by hquittner
Beaune Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 429 photos
Beaune (pop. 22K) is a small city at the heart of the Burgundy wine trade (les negociants). It is located about 1/3 the way down the area known as the Cote de Beaune, which lies along the east face of a protective ridge extending from just below Dijon to just over the boundary line of the Department Cote d'Or (the name of the entire ridge).Beaune is 45 km south of Dijon. The Cote de Beaune has soil that is excellent for the Chardonnay grape which yields the finest white wines. The Cote's northern end is Aloxe-Corton; the ridge further north from there is known as the Cote des Nuits, extending almost to Dijon, produces the great red Burgundy wines from the Pinot Noir grape.
We visited Beaune, one time, en route from our two nights just south of Dijon, to our next base at Chassy-le-Camp, 6 km beyond Chagny (15 km beyond Beaune). This location was at the very end of the Cote de Beaune. This site provided us with a base from which to visit Southern Burgundy. Our stay in Beaune was associated with a drenching persistent downpour. Besides diminishing light for picture taking, it also destroyed all thoughts of wine tasting. It limited us to the usual bottle sampling at the Inn. But we did visit the Hotel-Dieu and its museum , the Church of Notre Dame and the Burgundy Wine Museum.
- Pros:Interesting Sites to See
- Cons:Only on a Sunny Day
- In a nutshell:A Piece of the 15C Preserved
This museum is included in a ticket for other venues and while it contains many ancient pieces of equipment used in wine... more travel advice
Besides the Polyptych, the museum has a number of items in the same room with it and in the preceding Salle St.-Louis.... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Beaune Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "We belonged to the Duchy of Burgundy."
- "Beaune, Great Wine, Food, Art & History!"
- "Beautiful Beaune"
- "Beaune, le paradis du bien boire et bien manger."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beaune
- Hotels in Beaune
- Transportation in Beaune
- Restaurants in Beaune
- Shopping in Beaune
- Warnings and Dangers in Beaune
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beaune
- 12 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Beaune?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beaune
- updated a Beaune Travel Page "A Wine Center with an Art Treausre"
- Posted in Travel Sestri Levante Forum "Re: we plan to go to Sestri..."
- Commented on one of breughel's Beaune travel pages
- Wrote a Review Visit the Museum of Wine of Burgundy about Wine museums & cellars in Beaune Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visit the Museum of Wine of Burgundy"
Photos in BeauneSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos