"You Should Stop at Beauvais" Beauvais by hquittner
Beauvais Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 147 photos
We spent a full day exploring Beauvais. That wa long ago, yet its sites remain unchanged and ignored by VT'ers and other recent travelers heading to or from Paris using the low-price airlines that land there. All they see is out the bus window as they go by.Of course if they are not interested Gothic Cathedrals or older churches or the history of fine tapestry and such, they have made the correct decision. But be aware that the cathedral of St.-Pierre is the tallest one in the world. It is a Michelin 3* attraction (rated worth a journey).
The center town has been rebuilt since the devastation of W.W. II. Since the tapestry manufacture was moved to the Gobelins in Paris at the start of the war, Beauvais was awarded a National Museum of Tapistry. The church of St.-Etienne should also be visited by those interested in churches and for is stained glass.
- Pros:Great for Church-hoppers Like Us
- Cons:This May Not Be Why You Come to France
- In a nutshell:For some a built-in day trip outside of Paris
There is a?mechanical clock?in the North transept . Actually it is an astronomical clock. with over 90,000 parts. There... more travel advice
The color and delicacy of the glass in the choir of St.-Etienne requires no comment. It is 16C and the Leprince family... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Beauvais Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "You Should Stop at Beauvais"
- "Not only a low cost airport..."
- "Two world famous objects in one city."
- "Another great cathedral city"
- "Beauvais, FR"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beauvais
- Hotels in Beauvais
- Transportation in Beauvais
- Nightlife in Beauvais
- Restaurants in Beauvais
- Shopping in Beauvais
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beauvais
- 12 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Beauvais?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beauvais
Photos in BeauvaisSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos