"Another Dordogne River-Edge Site" Top 5 Page for this destination Beynac-et-Cazenac by hquittner
Beynac-et-Cazenac Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 151 photos
Beynac-et-Cazenac is a small conjoined town (pop. 511) with Beynac nestled at the base of a daunting cliff on the north (right) bank in a bend of the Dordogne river. At the top of the cliff is the heavily fortified (and partly ruined) 12C castle of Bernac which was the forward defense of the French in the Hundred Years War (with the river the as the border)against the English. It was continuously held by the Bernacs except for a 10 year period, starting in 1189, when Richard the Lionhearted took it, and again briefly a little later when Simon de Montfort held it and razed its defenses. In 1962 a millionaire bought it and has been restoring it ever since.
Beynac was the last leg of a day trip out of Sarlat (10 km away). We had visited sights and sites along the Dordogne. We came to see the interior of a real medieval military fortress and were not disappointed. The views were also as impressive as those at Domme. Its owner is lovingly at work making it even more interesting.
- Pros:The Castle Is THE Attraction
- Cons:Walking and Climbing Are Essential
- In a nutshell:Take Off from Boating and Go Inside the Castle
Unless you have pictures from different angles to refer to or a guide with descriptions and a map, it is hard to... more travel advice
The South Bastion has views out over the river and valley, the castle walls and the castle platform. On our tour we were... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Beynac-et-Cazenac Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MOST BEAUTIFUL VILLAGE OF FRANCE"
- "A Fairy Tale Setting"
- "Stunning area on the Dordogne River"
- "Another Dordogne River-Edge Site"
- "Beynac and its castle"
- "Climb uphill from Beynac-et-Cazenac"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beynac-et-Cazenac
- Hotels in Beynac-et-Cazenac
- Restaurants in Beynac-et-Cazenac
- Shopping in Beynac-et-Cazenac
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beynac-et-Cazenac
- 6 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Beynac-et-Cazenac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beynac-et-Cazenac
- updated a Beynac-et-Cazenac Travel Page "Another Dordogne River-Edge Site"
- Posted in Travel Sestri Levante Forum "Re: we plan to go to Sestri..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Unidentified Chateaux and Other Abodes"
- Wrote a Review Unidentified Chateaux and Other Abodes in Beynac-et-Cazenac Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Beynac-et-CazenacSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos