"An Architectural History of Chateau-Building" Top 5 Page for this destination Blois by hquittner
Blois Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 312 photos
On our second visit, we took our four grown sons and their wives to spend an afternoon at Blois. In the morning we had visited Chenonceau from our base at a"bed-dinner abd breakfast" chateau near the Chambord (See Lodging Tip under Centre-Chateau Colliers).After previously sightseeing at most of the prominent chateaux in the valley, we chose the three finest and most varied examples to visit as their first taste. The chateau is a partial textbook of architecture of castles, at least as living quarters. (we had seen Versailles from Paris days earlier).
Each of our trips to Blois have been day trips. The first time we devoted a little energy to seeing the outside of the castle and some of the old town. It is quite a climb up and down. We looked into the Cathedral at that time, but took no pictures because we were not experienced enough to recognize its finer late Gothic rebuilding.
The chateau is minimally furnished. It is really a set of museums and plays host to any groups of French schoolchildren since some of France's history (including murder) took place here. We went for the beautiful architecture in many styles. There are preserved archeologic remains and original castle stone carvings, a picture gallery and authentic pieces and reproductions that emphasize the history in appropriate places.
- Pros:A Top Ranking Chateau and an interesting City
- Cons:Takes plenty of time and walking to see it all.
- In a nutshell:Do Not Miss It
If you have time, the ground floor level of the Francois I Wing has many objects of interest and explanations, old... more travel advice
This large chamber is the oldest part of the Chateau (13C), the feudal hall of the Counts of Blois. It was used by the... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Blois Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Château Royal de Blois: A Must-See"
- "Blois - Rich in Monuments, History and Culture"
- "An Architectural History of Chateau-Building"
- "Exuding FRENCH provincial charm...that's Blois!"
- "Blois- Chateaux de la Loire"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Blois
- Hotels in Blois
- Transportation in Blois
- Restaurants in Blois
- Warnings and Dangers in Blois
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Blois
- 15 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Blois?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Blois
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos
Latest Blois hotel reviews
- Hotel Du Bellay
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 23, 2013
- Cote Loire - Auberge Ligerienne
- 134 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Tour Hotel Blois
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel de France et de Guise
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 12, 2013
- Hotel Renaissance Blois
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 22, 2013