"A Surprisingly Interesting City" Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux by hquittner
Bordeaux Travel Guide: 502 reviews and 1,272 photos
We came to Bordeaux as the first leg of a trip that would take us to the Dordogne and then north to Paris. When we arrived in Paris (Orly). it was a day of “sympathy strike (greve)” for some group of transportation workers and all flights inside of France were canceled! Further inquiry disclosed that the TGV was operating. We grabbed our bags and hailed a cab to the Gare de Lyon and entrained for Bordeaux in rapid comfort, snoozing all the way. We actually arrived 2 hours sooner than our planned flight connection (and after our flight refund, several dollars cheaper). To slow us down, we ate lunch at the Gare. Jet lag took over as we reached the hotel.
Bordeaux is the eighth most populous city (and second in area) of France. It is a lively industrial city with a large pedestrianized central “old” central shopping area. In good times its economy is amplified by the wine trade. There are large numbers of fine 18C buildings in the center and it has a wide and deep port on the Garonne river. It is working hard to keep its center from over-congestion. It was pleasant to walk through the city well into the evening. There was a Music Festivalin progress and we were able to get balcony tickets to a Viola and Piano recital in the Grand Theatre (See Tip picture inclusions beyond the lead one).
- Pros:We were busy for two days
- Cons:You could overshop here
- In a nutshell:A fine, large and very French city
The Place du Parlement is a large square for walking and relaxing. In season the half-dozen restaurants have outdoor... more travel advice
The Musee des Beaux Arts is located in a cramped wing of the Hotel de Ville which was rebuilt in the 19C museum style... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Bordeaux Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Surprisingly Interesting City"
- "Bordeaux - La Belle Au Bois Dormant"
- "Bienvenue a Bordeaux"
- "Bordeaux Historic and wine city"
- "One day sure wasn't enough"
- "Bonjour! Bourdeaux, France!"
- "La Ville du Vin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bordeaux
- Hotels in Bordeaux
- Transportation in Bordeaux
- Nightlife in Bordeaux
- Restaurants in Bordeaux
- Shopping in Bordeaux
- Warnings and Dangers in Bordeaux
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bordeaux
- 34 Reviews
- 127 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Bordeaux?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bordeaux
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Where is VT email?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stop At the Monument to the Girondins"
- Commented on one of lorgnierl's Bordeaux travel pages
- Wrote a Review Relax in the Place du Parlement about Place du Parlement in Bordeaux Things to Do
- updated a Bordeaux Travel Page "A Surprisingly Interesting City"
Photos in BordeauxSee All Photos (127)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos