"A Fine Site to Withdraw To" Brantôme by hquittner
Brantôme Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 97 photos
The structures of the ancient abbey are a memorable sight: nestled along the right (north) bank of the Dronne river beneath a bulky cliff. This river bank forced the abbey to take a linear construction, Of the most ancient buildings only a belfry built in the 11C on a rock spur remains, situated above the present church.(started in the 12C). It must have been a welcome sight for pilgrims on the Compostela journey. The river has provided a means for isolating the small city that developed next to the abbey (pop. 2K) by having it circle the city as an island. A modern bridge connects it to the road alongside the abbey and an older bridge gives access from the abbey to another plot of land which is the abbey gardens. There are pleasant lunch facilities in Brantome as well as accommodations.
We only took lunch and viewed the abbey en route as we progressed from Sarlat to Perigueux to Poitiers as a day trip onward.
- Pros:An Enjoyable Short Visit
- In a nutshell:Include It en route or even stay a while
The church contains some old stone carvings, most notably the 14C relief of the Baptism of Christ and a diptych placed... more travel advice
The Abbatial Palace was built in the 17C. It has an 18C staircase, although the lowest level looks much older. The... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Brantôme Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visit on a holiday if you can."
- "A Fine Site to Withdraw To"
- "A Little Gem in the Périgord Vert"
- "Brantome - the Venice of the Perigord"
- " BRANTOME "
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brantôme
- Hotels in Brantôme
- Transportation in Brantôme
- Restaurants in Brantôme
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brantôme
- 9 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Brantôme?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brantôme
- Posted in Travel Sestri Levante Forum "Re: we plan to go to Sestri..."
- Wrote a Review The Church Has Some Artistic Treasures in Brantôme Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Church Has Some Artistic Treasures"
- Commented on one of wandeljp's Brantôme travel pages
- updated a Brantôme Travel Page "A Fine Site to Withdraw To"
Photos in BrantômeSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos