"A Quiet Town" Asilah by hquittner
Asilah Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 299 photos
During the afternoon of the first day of our 2-day tour to Tangier from Torremolinos, we were taken to Asilah on the Atlantic coast for a long walk. Our guide was a local teacher at the Institute there. The old town, which was all that we visited, is very quiet and appeared quite safe. I understand that there are hotels and developed beaches in the newer area but we did not go there.
The old town is surrounded by defensive walls said to be Spanish and Portuguese, although one part was topped by tent shaped merlons with classical Arab rough stonework underpinnings. The guide gave us intelligent jabber about the town and pointed out not noteworthy buildings and institutions. Most stimulating was the restless decoration of the whitewashed walls by murals and the colorful ratement of dooors.
There were artisans at work in one shop and a sales outlet or two with the wares and colorful Berber rugs. There were also views of the rugged coast near town.
- Pros:An unexpected visual experience
- Cons:We were not to stay here
- In a nutshell:What would an independent overnight be like?
As one walks through the wide entrance into the Old Town one encounters traffic-free uncluttered streets of varying... more travel advice
The most noteworthy structural elements of Asilah are its defensive walls with its Portuguese keep-like Tower, and the... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Asilah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portuguese city by the Atlantic Ocean"
- "Relaxing Asilah by the sea"
- "Atlantic Asilah"
- "A s i l a h"
- "Asilah - pearl on the Atlantic"
- "A Quiet Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Asilah
- Hotels in Asilah
- Transportation in Asilah
- Nightlife in Asilah
- Restaurants in Asilah
- Shopping in Asilah
- Warnings and Dangers in Asilah
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Asilah
- 5 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Asilah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Asilah
Photos in AsilahSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos
Latest Asilah hotel reviews
- Hotel Al Khaima
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 25, 2013