"A Very Old City with a Modern Dress" Top 5 Page for this destination Caen by hquittner
Caen Travel Guide: 142 reviews and 374 photos
Caen (120k) is the most populous city in all of Normandy. It is also a port city and one of heavy manufacture. It was almost 75% demolished in WWII and evidences of that experience are only seen where it is wished to memorialize the events. Remarkably, most of its churches did not suffer. It was the ruling center for William the Conquerer (died 1077) and the churches that he and his wife built (each part of an Abbey) are fine examples of Romanesque architecture, even though they have undergone some later changes. The west fronts and naves in particular are models of the style. There is a castle, also started by William, walling in a large area, with views of the usual commercial city studded with more nearby churches.
We decided to spend a complete day studying the sights of Caen, We chise not to stay along the nearby beaches but opted to go 17.5 km south to a small place, Thury-Harcourt, where we found a small Inn with excellent food. This provided a base for us to drive to Caen and Bayeux for day-long visits, plus an opportunity to spend another day in the Suisse Normand.
- Pros:A Heavy Taste of Romanesque architecture
- In a nutshell:A fine city to visit and even to linger in overnight
The West Facade of St.-Pierre is readily seen from the ramparts of the castle and its belfry is a landmark of Caen, so... more travel advice
This is a fine collection,begun in 1809, it is much better than most regional museums due to its original donor... more travel advice
hquittner's Related Pages
Caen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "William The Conquerer is here"
- "Caen, 'the battlefield'"
- "Caen in Normandy"
- "A Very Old City with a Modern Dress"
- "Caen -- Sword & Juno Beaches"
- "A Caened Taste of Western France"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caen
- Hotels in Caen
- Transportation in Caen
- Nightlife in Caen
- Restaurants in Caen
- Shopping in Caen
- Warnings and Dangers in Caen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caen
- 17 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Caen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caen
Photos in CaenSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 226 reviews, 938 photos, 5 travelogues
- Autun Intro, 17 reviews, 356 photos, 2 travelogues
- Versailles Intro, 45 reviews, 207 photos, 4 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 34 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chartres Intro, 32 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lyon Intro, 34 reviews, 145 photos
- Carcassonne Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 31 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 34 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arles Intro, 33 reviews, 121 photos
Latest Caen hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Caen City Centre
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- De la Fontaine
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Mercure Bayeux Omaha Beach
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2013
- Best Western Le Dauphin
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Le Canada Hotel Hermanville
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 17, 2013
- Mercure Caen Centre Port De Plaisance
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Ibis Caen Centre
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 30, 2013